QuickBooks is a multi-purpose accounting and bookkeeping application designed specifically for mid and small-sized businesses. Yet, amid its features and functionalities, QuickBooks users sometimes report issues and errors that create a need for skilled troubleshooting. In this blog, we will talk about what does QuickBooks error 1904 means, its causes, and top troubleshooting solutions.
Error 1904 module is one such bug that appears when installing QB Desktop on a Windows system with an error message saying, “Error 1904: Module EntitlementClientBootstrap.dll failed to register” while installing QB.
Sometimes, users may also encounter the error while upgrading from one version of QuickBooks to another. As the process of upgrading involves uninstalling other versions of QB before upgrading, the users are left with no clue on what to do. The error code 1904 can be frustrating if not resolved with the right solutions.
However, there’s no need to worry; we have compiled a list of top solutions with simple instructions to fix the issue. Continue reading the article to learn how to resolve the QuickBooks Install Error code 1904.
If you are constantly getting interrupted by QuickBooks Error 1904 while installing the QB Desktop application and do not know a way out, call our Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number, +1(855)-738-0359, and speak to our certified experts.
What Are The Reasons For QuickBooks Error 1904?
Here, we have mentioned 7 major causes that can trigger QuickBooks Error Code 1904. It’s essential for a user to know all of them as it can simplify the troubleshooting:
- The QB error 1904 module flash ocx failed to register can occur due to damage in the internal programs and low maintenance of the system.
- Another reason can be missing or Damaged Microsoft components like MSXML, Microsoft C++, and Microsoft .NET Framework.
- The Windows or QuickBooks desktop that you are using might not be updated as per the latest version.
- The error 1904 takes place when you have corrupted Windows Installer.
- You might come across several issues in the Hard drive of the system.
- QuickBooks error 1904 can be a result of a damaged QB installer file.
- It might be possible that error 1904 is getting triggered because some Windows security application is interrupting the installation process.
Once you are aware of the possible reasons for QuickBooks Desktop Error 1904, you need to know how to identify the error IcWrapper Dll failed to register that takes place in your system.
What Are The Symptoms Of QuickBooks Desktop Error 1904?
There are many signs by which you can detect the QuickBooks dll error. Here are 7 common indications of the error 1904.
- It might be possible that the window system is hanging or does not work correctly.
- The screen of the system is continuously popping in errors.
- At times, the system can take much time to respond.
- You might come across QuickBooks installer setup failed problems.
- The QB company file that you are using is either damaged or corrupted
- If the hard drive and the read-write devices do not have the required permission.
- When you see the message stating “Error 1904: [file path/name/extension] failed to register” on the screen.
Once you have identified the QuickBooks error 1904 and know the reasons that might be triggering it, you can go ahead with the troubleshooting steps for “ICWrapper dll failed to register error while installing QuickBooks”. However, make sure to check the points we have listed below first. If any of the below points suit you, then directly move to the special cases section for resolving the error code 1904.
Before You Start Troubleshooting Error 1904, Check This
If any of the given points suits you then, go for the special cases section below:
- You are using Bitdefender Antivirus on the system
- You have recently installed Adobe Flash.
- There is a mention of QBversionTool.dll in the QuickBooks error code 1904 message.
If you find any of these points relevant, then move to the Special Cases section in the troubleshooting methods for the error 1904 module failed to register QuickBooks.
How To Fix QuickBooks Error 1904?
Well, there are numerous methods that you can use to fix QuickBooks login error 1904 By keeping everything in mind, it’s essential for the user to explore each of the techniques turn by turn and get rid of the annoying QB Error Code 1904 module that failed to register icwrapper.dll while installing QuickBooks (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, etc.).
Solution 1: Install and Run the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool
This method can prove helpful if you have not upgraded your Windows as per the latest available version. If you are going to Install QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool, then before that, you have to download QuickBooks Tool Hub, the most recent version (188.8.131.52) for Windows. You can fix common errors with the help of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. We recommend using Tool Hub on Windows 10 or Windows 11, 64-bit, for a better experience. If you have already upgraded it, then you can skip this method and try out other ones:
- You need first to close the QuickBooks Desktop application to use Tool Hub.
- Download the updated version (184.108.40.206) of QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official website of Intuit.
Note: If you have already installed this tool. Check which version you’re using. If you want to know about the version then Click on the Home tab and go to the bottom right, or you can easily choose the “About” to view the version.
- Open the downloaded file (QuickBookstoolhub.exe), follow the installation steps that are displayed on the screen, and agree to the terms and conditions
- Once done with the installation process, open the tool hub application by searching the name (QuickBooks Tool Hub) in the search bar.
- Once the tool hub opens, select the Installation Issues tab, then select the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool. Run this tool, which might take some 20-25 minutes.
- Afterward, restarting the computer.
After running the Install Diagnostic Tool, you may also need to re-register or reactivate QuickBooks Desktop before installing QB Desktop again. You can re-register QB in the following way:
- Open QB and move to the Help section.
- Select the Activate QuickBooks Desktop option and follow the steps given there to verify your information.
Now, check the status of QB windows error 1904. If you still see this error 1904 failed to register windows 10 message then go for solution 2.
Solution 2: Fix the Windows Components Manually
If the QB Install diagnostic tool did not fix the error, you need to repair the Windows Component. However, perform the steps below under the supervision of an IT professional, a confident Windows user, or an expert from Microsoft support.
Repair Or Reinstall the Microsoft .NET Framework
QB uses Microsoft programs like Microsoft .NET Framework to run web-based applications. If the .NET Framework has some issues, then QB might not perform well and can give error 1904 on installation. So, you need to repair the Microsoft .NET Framework.
- Close all the programs running on the system and open the Windows Start menu.
- Now, type the word Control Panel into the search bar and open the Control Panel from the results.
- Then, go to the Programs and Features tab, followed by Uninstall a Program option.
- Select Turn Windows features on or off and find the .NET Framework on the list.
- Here, you need to check the settings for both .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
Check the Settings for NET Framework 4.5 (or later version)
The method to change the settings for .NET Framework 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, and 4.8 are exactly the same.
Follow the below-given steps if the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) checkbox isn’t checked:
- Select the checkbox to enable the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later).
- Then, hit OK to save your changes and restart the system.
Follow the below-given steps if the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) checkbox is already checked:
- You need to deselect the checkbox to disable the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) and make sure not to turn it on.
- Hit OK and restart the system.
- After you sign in back to Windows, follow the above-given steps to enable the .NET Framework 4.5 again.
Check the Settings for NET Framework 3.5 SP1 version
Follow the below-given steps if the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 checkbox isn’t checked:
- Click the checkbox against the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 to enable it.
- Hit OK to save the changes and then restart your system.
Follow the below-given steps if the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 checkbox is already checked:
- Deselect the checkbox against .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 to disable it. Do not turn it back on.
- Hit OK to save changes and then restart the system.
- After signing back to Windows, follow the steps above to enable the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 again.
However, if you encounter an error while turning the framework on or off, we recommend you consult an expert.
Repair Microsoft MSXML
To repair the Microsoft MSMXL files, you need to register the MSXML DLL files.
Steps to register MSXML on a 64-bit operating system:
- Select the Windows Start menu, type cmd, and right-click on the command prompt to run it as administrator.
- Then, at the C: prompt, you need to enter the command cd\windows\syswow64.
- After this, type regsvr32 MSXML6.dll and hit Enter.
- Now proceed to install QB Desktop and check for the error 1904.
Steps to register MSXML on a 32-bit operating system:
- Open the Run command by pressing the Windows+R keys, type in cmd, and hit Enter.
- Then, type regsvr32 MSXML6.dll and hit Enter.
- Now, try to install the QuickBooks Desktop on the system.
If you still face the QB error code 1904 even after repairing the Windows components, then move on to the next solution.
Solution 3: Make Changes to the Windows Account Settings
For this method, you have to switch to the Windows administrator account to change the settings. Here is how you can go ahead with this step and fix QuickBooks desktop error 1904:
A: Switch to your Windows Administrator account
- At first, you need to click on “Start” and type “CMD” in the search bar.
- When you get the command prompt option on the screen, right-click on it and select the option “Run as administrator.”
- In the command window, type “net user administrator /active: yes” and press Enter. You must close it right after you have completed the entire process.
- Now, again, open the Windows Start menu and opt for the Sign out option.
- After that, choose the account that says administrator and sign in. This way, you won’t need to enter the credentials again.
B: Steps to Change Your User Permission
- While you begin, you have to first type “File Explorer” in the search bar of the start menu.
- After the File Explorer opens, search for C:\Program Files\Common Files..
- Right-click the “Common Files” folder and choose the “Properties” option.
- To proceed, navigate to the Security tab, and there you have to click on “Edit.”
- Further, you need to choose the Users option in the “Group or User Names” section.
- Then, turn on the following permissions in the “Permissions for Users” section:
- Read & execute,
- List folder contents,
- Lastly, click on “Apply” followed by “OK” for saving the changes made. After that you have to reinstall the QB.
C: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop and Sign Out
- To reinstall the QB Desktop, download the QuickBooks.exe file and open it.
- Then, follow the onscreen instructions, accept the software license agreement, and hit Next.
- You need to enter the product and license numbers and then hit Next.
- After this, select the suitable install path and complete the installation process. You can choose between Express Install or Custom and Network Install.
- When the installation is completed, you need to open the Start menu and sign out of the administrator account.
- For this, sign in to your user account and open the Start menu.
- Type the command cmd in the search, and when you see the CMD Run icon, right-click it and select the Run as Administrator option.
- Then, type the command net user administrator /active:no in the command window and hit Enter. It will hide your admin account.
- After this, try opening the QuickBooks with the regular account and check if the error 1904 still appears.
Solution 4: Update the Windows and download the missing updates
Sometimes, an outdated Windows may also lead to error 1904: module failed to register error. So you need to look for the missing updates and download them. The new updates come with great features and can fix the occurring issue.
- Click the Start icon, followed by the Settings and Windows Update option.
- After that, you need to click the Check for updates option and look for any available Windows updates.
- At last, you can install the awaiting updates, and once the installation process is over, you need to restart the system.
Solution 5: Configure the QuickBooks to the Exception List of any firewall or security program installed in Windows.
If the Windows system has an antivirus or a firewall installed, then open any of them and add the Qb to their exception list.
- If You are Using Bitdefender in your System
You have to configure your QuickBooks Desktop to list the Bitdefender exclusion to resolve the QuickBooks error 1904. By disabling the Bitdefender won’t resolve the error.
- If you are using a 32-bit Windows OS, add C:/Program Files/Common Files.
- If you are using a 64-bit Windows OS, add C:/Program Files/Intuit (C:/Program Files(x86)/Intuit.
By configuring the Bitdefender exclusion list to QB desktop doesn’t help you in solving the QuickBooks error code 1904, then we have another option to fix this.
Solution 6: Try to fix the components of your Windows manually
If you are unable to fix this issue with the help of QBInstall or updating- then you will have to repair the Windows components all by yourself. But the reason why we are mentioning this at the end is because it is quite difficult. If you have a sound knowledge of Windows or if you are an IT professional, then just pick this solution.
- First you will have to reinstall or try to repair the Microsoft .NET framework.
- Also, you can try repairing the Microsoft MSXML on your PC.
Solution 7: Reinstalling the QB and signing out of it
Another quick way to fix the issue is to reinstall and sign out of your Quickbooks. Here are the steps that have to be followed in order to successfully execute this solution.
- Before you start the process we would suggest that you take a back up of all the important things like your company file. This will help in refraining from losing any data.
- Then just uninstall the application and then reinstall it fresh from the website of Intuit. When this is done, you will have to keep following the steps.
- Head to the Windows “Start Menu” and then just sign out from your admin account.
- Next, just sign in to the usual or other user accounts.
- After this, you will have to again go to the “Start menu” and then in the search box, you will have to type “CMD.”
- When you see the run icon, just right-click on it and then choose “run as admin.”
- Then, type “net user administrator/ active: no” on the command window. And then just hit the enter button on your keyboard.
- This is enough to hide your admin account.
- Now, just check if the problem still prevails or not.
Special Cases to Deal with QuickBooks Desktop Error 1904
If any of the special cases apply to you, then you need to follow the respective solutions to resolve the error code 1904:
Case 1: If You Use Bitdefender, Add QuickBooks Desktop to the Bitdefender Exclusion List
If you use Bitdefender Antivirus on the system, then you need to add the QuickBooks Desktop application to the Bitdefender exclusion list. This step is essential because the error 1904 won’t get resolved even if you disable the Bitdefender. Follow the below-given steps to exclude QB from the Bitdefender Antivirus scan.
- Open Bitdefender and click the Protection tab on the Home page.
- Then, click Open on the Antivirus pane.
- Access the Settings tab on the Antivirus pane and click the Manage Exceptions option.
- After that, click the +Add an Exception button.
- Then, enter the path of the file or folder you want to exclude from the scan in the respective field.
- If you use a 32-bit Windows operating system, then enter “C:\Program Files\Common Files.”
- If you use a 64-bit Windows operating system, then enter “C:\Program Files\Intuit (C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit.”
- Alternatively, you can also browse to the location of the QuickBooks file/folder and exclude them.
- For this, click the Magnifying Glass icon on the right side of the Exceptions window.
- Then, follow the path to the folder where the QB files are stored.
- Select the QB file or folder that you want to exclude, and hit OK.
- Then, toggle on the switch next to the Antivirus option and click Save.
- The above steps will add a new rule to the list of Antivirus exceptions.
Case 2: If Error 1904 Appears While Installing Adobe Flash Player, Re-Install the Adobe Flash Player
If you come across QuickBooks error 1904 while installing Adobe Flash Player, then you need to follow the below-mentioned steps to re-install the Adobe Flash Player and eliminate the issue:
- Firstly, download and run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- After that, the user needs to run the tool properly in your system.
- After the tool finishes the process, you need to open the Window Start menu.
- In the search bar, type the control panel and open it.
- Moving ahead, make sure to uninstall a program in your computer system.
- After this, choose the Uninstall a program option, select Adobe Flash Player ActiveX from the list of programs, and hit the Uninstall button.
- Further, click on the ‘uninstall option’ that appears on your screen.
- Next, follow the instructions that appear on the screen and complete the uninstallation process.
- Lastly, you need to download and re-install the Adobe Flash Player on the system.
- Lastly, you need to re-install and run it.
Case 3: If the QuickBooks Error 1904 message mentions QBversionTool.dll.
First, to perform this approach, follow the first two sections of the blog to run the QB Install Diagnostic Tool and then change your admin settings. Then, follow the mentioned steps in the following section to fix the issue.
To resolve the QuickBooks Desktop error code 1904 in this case, you need to run the QB Install Diagnostic Tool and change the Windows Account settings. You can refer to the Solution 1st and 3rd of this blog for the detailed steps.
Test the Permissions
If you still face the QuickBooks install error 1904, you need to run a test to find the cause. Follow the below-given steps to run the test:
- Go to the Windows Start menu, type Notepad in the Search field, and hit Enter to open it.
- Then, type the word QBTEST in the note.
- Next, move to the File menu and select the Save As option. You can save it to the “C:/Program Files/Common Files” or “C:/Program Files(x86)/Common Files“ location.
If you cannot save the note to the folder, you need to sign in and install the QB as an administrator. To do so, follow the next section.
Install QuickBooks as an Administrator
- Go to the Windows Start menu and click the Sign Out option.
- Then, choose the account that says Administrator and Sign in. There shouldn’t be a password option.
- Now, Install QuickBooks as an administrator.
Some Additional Guidelines to resolve IcWrapper Dll Error :
Sometimes, when you download QuickBooks Pro 2021 Update, you may face Error 1904: Module “C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks2021\ICWrapper.dll failed to register” error. However, when you click OK on the error message, it eventually starts giving Error 1603. This error makes you roll back the patch because it fails to install. The error might be related to an update to the Sophos anti-virus software on the system. So, follow the step-by-step solutions given below to fix the problem QuickBooks error 1904 icwrapper dll failed to register:
- Uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop application. For this, go to the Control Panel, then click Programs and Features and choose the uninstall this version of QuickBooks option.
- Also, delete the QuickBooks Installation folder from the default location C:\Program Files (64bit: Program Files (x86)) \QuickBooks 20xx-xx\.
- Delete all files in C:\Temp and C:\Users\logged in user\AppData\Local\Temp folder.
- After this, you need to disable the Sophos antivirus service. For this, click Start > Run > type services.msc and hit Enter.
- Then, right-click all the Sophos services that are running in the background and select the Stop option.
- Now, install the QB application again.
- After installing QB, you need to locate and delete the quarantine.xml file from the Sophos Anti-Virus folder. The default location for Windows XP is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\Config\Quarantine.xml and for Windows Vista/Windows 7 is C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\Config\Quarantine.xml.
- After this, run the services.msc again and start the Sophos Anti-Virus services.
You can also make exceptions for QB processes in Sophos Anti-Virus in the following way:
You need to grant the following file through the firewall for both incoming and Outgoing Traffic. Exclude the following processes:
- FileManagement.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 200x-xx
- QBCFMonitorService.exe located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks
- QBDBMgr.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 200x-xx
- QBDBMgrN.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 200x-xx
- QBGDSPlugin.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 200x-xx
- QBW32.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 200x-xx
- QBUpdate.exe located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate
Here, X represents the Year Version of your QB Desktop.
Lastly, after performing the above steps, launch QuickBooks Desktop, open a Sample file and Activate QuickBooks.
Need Help To Fix QuickBooks Error 1904
We have tried our best to serve you with enough and authentic information about QuickBooks Error 1904. We believe you can solve the issue without any hassle by following the methods mentioned in this blog. However, if you have any queries or want to take the assistance of a QB expert to get rid of the issue at the earliest, call our Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number at +1(855)-738-0359 and ask all your queries. Our team will make sure to provide you with handy solutions that can help you eliminate the error at the earliest.
If you are struggling with QB errors at regular intervals, then you don’t need to worry! Connect with us. We are available to assist you round the clock.
QuickBooks Error 1904 Frequently Asked Questions
If you get the error 1904 while installing QuickBooks Pro 2023 on the Windows 11 21H2 ARM64 machine, you can try the following steps to resolve the error:
1. Launch the installer and open %systemdrive%\Program Files\Common Files to monitor.
2. When you get the Intuit folder with a size of 163 MB on the screen, copy it somewhere on the system for backup.
3. Then, open cmd as administrator and run this command: cd D:\Windows\SysWOW64.
4. Continue monitoring the %systemdrive%\Program Files\Common Files folder. Once the Intuit folder gets deleted, copy the backup folder from step 2 to the Common Files folder.
5. Now, run the egsvr32 “D:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8\Client\EntitlementClientBootstrap.dll” command to register EntitlementClientBootstrap.dll.
6. Lastly, restart the installer again.
The QuickBooks 1904 installation error can occur because of the following reasons:
1. Installation of a new Windows OS.
2. Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks installer file.
3. Upgrading the version of the QB Desktop application.
4. Interruption to the installation process by Windows security application.
You can use the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from QB Tool Hub to fix the installation errors.