QuickBooks users have an option to add their banking transaction in their company file manually or they can connect their bank account, automating the recording process. Sometimes few transactions are added multiple QuickBooks users have an option to add their banking transaction in their company file manually or they can connect their bank account, automating the recording process. Sometimes few transactions are added multiple times due to a human error or technical glitch. In such cases, you are required to delete them. The processes for deleting duplicate transactions in QuickBooks desktop and Online are totally different. Further, you need to follow different steps to delete duplicate transactions in Register Mode and Side-by-Side Mode.
Wondering how to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks Desktop and Online? contact Asquare Cloud Hosting’s expert team for step-by-step guidance to easily clear duplicate transactions.
Remove Duplicate Transactions in QuickBooks Desktop and Online
Removing duplicate transactions in QuickBooks is different for desktop and online versions. There are separate steps to check duplicate transactions in QuickBooks Online. As for the desktop version, you need to find the duplicate transactions yourself. Let’s glance at the steps that you need to follow in detail:-
Delete Duplicate Transactions in QuickBooks Desktop
The process to delete transactions in QuickBooks Desktop depends on which banking mode you are functioning in. The steps are different for register mode and side-by-side mode. Let’s peep at the steps that you are required to follow:-
Delete Duplicate Transactions in Register Mode
You can check out the register at the top of your screen while the downloaded transactions are at the bottom. To delete the transactions that are not required, match them with correct transactions, and then delete the entire statement:-
- Tap on the Banking tab and select Bank Feeds.
- Click on Bank Feeds Center and browse the statement from the Items Received From Financial Institution section. Then click on the View button.
- Find the correct transactions and click on Done to match them.
- Now tap on Yes in the Not finished Matching screen, and you will be navigated back to the Online Banking Center.
- Find and select the same statement in the Items Received From Financial Institution section. Then choose Delete.
Duplicate transactions will not appear next time you download a statement if you delete it. If you don’t delete the matched statement, it will continue to appear the next time you download it.
Delete Duplicate Transactions in Side-by-Side Mode
You can find downloaded transactions on the left side in Side-by-Side mode. The steps to delete duplicate transactions are as follow:-
- Click on the Banking tab and select Bank Feeds.
- Then click on the Bank Feeds Center.
- Select the account with transactions you wish to delete in the Items Reviewed section.
- Tap on Items to Delete.
- Select the transactions that are to be deleted and click on Delete Selected. Then tap on Yes to Confirm.
Note:- Click on Select all downloaded transactions older than and select the date to the last statement end date if you have already matched your statement. Then tap on Delete Selected. You might be required to switch to Register mode if you want to delete everything.
Delete Duplicate Transactions in QuickBooks Online
QBO has an option for you to check the transactions that are duplicate. The steps to delete the duplicate banking transactions in QuickBooks online depends on which tab the transaction is appearing.
Checking for Duplicate Transactions in QuickBooks Online
You will have to check expenses and income individually and find out the duplicate transactions. You can do it either by running the traditional reports just going through the required menu. Let’s look at both the ways:-
Running Traditional Report To Find Out Duplicate Transaction
- Click on the Reports tab from the left menu.
- Type Customer Balance Detail in the search bar to find income.
Note:- Type Vendor Balance Detail for expense report.
- Click on Customize from the top.
- Go to Transaction Date and set it to All Dates.
- Click on Run Report and click on Sort drop down arrow.
- Change Sort by to Num and select Ascending or Descending order as per your convenience.
- Then click on Run report.
Find out Duplicate Transaction From Menu
- Hit on Expenses tab & select Expenses.
Note:- You need to select Sales and All Sales for income.
- Now choose the No. column to sort it.
- Then expenses will settle the numbers can be set in either ascending or descending order.
- Then look for duplicates.
Delete Duplicate Bank Transactions in QuickBooks Online
The method to delete bank transactions in QuickBooks Online depends on the tab the transaction is appearing in. The steps are the same if your transaction is categorised or matched.
If the Duplicate Transaction is in ‘For Review’ menu
- Tap on the Banking or Transaction button in the left menu.
- Choose the bank account that has duplicate transactions and click on For Review menu. Tickmark the duplicate transactions.
- The Exclude button will appear on the top of all the transactions.
- Go to the Exclude tab and tick mark the box next to the left of the Date column and select the duplicate transactions. Then click on Delete.
If the Duplicate Transaction is Categorised or Matched
- Go to the Banking or Transactions tab on the left menu.
- Go to the Categorised tab and select all the duplicate transactions.
- Undo button will appear, showing all the selected transactions. It will move them to For Review tab.
- Go to the For Review menu and tickmark the duplicate transactions.
- Click on the Exclude button that appeared on top of the transactions.
- Go to the Exclude tab, tick the box next to the Date column, and tap on Delete.
So now we hope you answer the question ‘ How to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks desktop’. Duplicate transactions can occur because of multiple users doing the same entry. They can create financial discrepancies, so fixing them as soon as possible is advised. If you are still unclear on what steps you need to follow, the next logical thing is to reach out to an expert at Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number and they will guide you step by step.