QuickBooks, developed by Intuit, is accounting software that helps small or medium-sized businesses to manage their accounts and finances on a single platform. QuickBooks allows users to perform different tasks with various features like bookkeeping, creating invoices, payroll, making bills, and many other features. But due to various reasons, QB users may need to move QuickBooks to new computer. However, some QuickBooks users don’t know how to transfer the QuickBooks Desktop to another system or a new Computer. If you are one of them, then go through this blog, which provides you the different techniques to transfer your QuickBooks to a new computer.
But before directly going to the technique to transfer QuickBooks to new computer, some preconditions are to be fulfilled to execute the moving procedure flawlessly.
Conditions for Transferring QuickBooks to a New Computer?
- The new computer should have an internet connection as you have to register on QuickBooks.
- There must be an external drive like a hard disk or USB that you will use in transferring the QuickBooks to a new computer.
- Should have the License and Product registration information to move QuickBooks license to a new computer.
- You have to delete or uninstall the QuickBooks desktop from the old computer.
- You must save the backup of the QuickBooks company file.
With keeping the procedure’s conditions in mind, learn how to move QuickBooks company files to a new computer in Windows 7/8/10.
How to Move QuickBooks to New Computer?
You can transfer the QuickBooks to a new computer by using the Migrator Tool as well as Manually. Let’s begin with the QB Migration Tool.
Method 1: Using the QB Migrator Tool
If you’re using QuickBooks Desktop version 2018 or newer as a single user then you can transfer your QuickBooks to a new system with up to 3 company files using the Migrator Tool. The Process of moving the QB to a new computer without CD using tool is divided into two parts.
Step 1: Execute these steps on Old Computer
- Firstly, you have to log in to the computer as an admin.
- Then, plug the external drive, whether it is a hard drive or USB.
- Now, open the QuickBooks Desktop, click on the File tab and choose Move QuickBooks to another Computer option.
- After that, click on the I’m Ready option and create a strong password.
- In the next step, choose the USB to copy all the QuickBooks files and transfer them to a new computer.
- After the successful copying process, remove the USB safely.
Step 2: Execute these Steps on New Computer
- In the first step, insert the USB on the new computer and wait until QB Migrator Tool appears.
- If it doesn’t appear then, Open the flash drive & click on the Move_QuickBooks.bat file.
- Now, you have to enter the password created in the previous part of the old computer procedure.
- Then, press on Let’s go and wait for the tool to complete the migration task.
- After the QuickBooks installation, open QB, choose the Help tab and click on the Register QuickBooks option.
- In the end, enter all the necessary details like phone number, license key, and postal code to register the product.
Note: If the Migrator tool doesn’t start after running the file, You Need to Update your Windows to the latest version.
Step 3 – Use the QuickBooks Data Migration Tool To Return To The Desktop Version.
Follow the step by step instructions to go back to the Desktop version:
- Firstly, log in to your QuickBooks Online account..
- Now , go to the URL bar & add /app/ with exportqbodatatoqbdt (For example: https://app.qbo.intuit.com/app/exportqbodatatoqbdt).
- After replacing the URL correctly, move to the Export overview screen and select the Get Started button.
- The next step is to select the Download tool button to start the QuickBooks migration tool download process.
- Follow the given instructions on the windows box to install & run it.
- In the end, carefully follow the navigation bar to complete the installation process & start preparing the export process for migration.
If still, you can’t move QuickBooks to the second PC, move to the manual method.
Method 2: Manually Move QuickBooks File to New Computer?
If you find any difficulty with the Migrator tool in transferring the QB or using an older QuickBooks version, then you can opt for the manual technique. The manual transfer technique is more straightforward but less comprehensive. In this, you are merely uninstalling the QB from the old computer then reinstalling it in the new system. Here the steps to do so.
- Make sure that you have the product and license number information of currently using the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Now, from the existing system, you have to uninstall the application.
- Then reinstall the QB desktop on the new computer either using the CD or download the installer files from the internet.
- After that, by accepting the software license agreement, enter the Product and License number.
- Now, install the QuickBooks normally on the new computer.
The above manual technique has some drawbacks, which can lead you to QuickBooks errors.
Drawbacks of Manually Transferring QuickBooks from Old to New Computer
- Users have to ensure that the version of the QuickBooks desktop they are using is right, with other details.
- Users have to transfer the company files manually to the new system, which can consume time.
- Extensions and add-ons services have to set up again.
- Settings like printers have to manage manually.
After knowing the methods and drawbacks now, the question arises what to do now? Don’t worry, the below section is for you, just go through it.
Steps To Follow After Transferring QB to Other Computer
After moving QuickBooks to a new computer, follow the listed points.
- You have to Sign in to every service individually to make use of QuickBooks features.
- If you carry several multiple files, you can use an external storage device to copy them to the new computer.
- It suggested that you should have a backup of the company files on the other or new computer.
Need Help in Moving the QB to New Computer?
In this write-up, we provide you two techniques to move QuickBooks to a new computer. There are chances that you may face errors while transferring the QuickBooks. If this happens, you can contact our Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number +1.855.738.0359, 24×7 available to provide you quick and precise assistance.
Moving QuickBooks FAQs:
Yes, it is mandatory to uninstall, as you have to use the same QuickBooks with the exact login details and license, which can only approve one user at a time.
There is a risk of damage to the company files and permanent data loss while transferring the QuickBooks files.
If you don’t have a CD, you can download the installer files from the internet.