Intuit has always tried to make its user’s experience better with time. For that, it introduces numerous tools that can make your accounting easier. QuickBooks Database Server Manager is one such tool; it allows you to access the multi-user mode with ease when connected. Besides, multiple users can work on the same company file by sharing it with other computers over your network. You have to install the tool for each QuickBooks Desktop version. However, to know how to install, run and update the database server manager, follow this blog till the end.
Do you need expert assistance for QuickBooks database server manager multi-user mode? Give us a call on Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number and get immediate assistance.
What Is QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
QuickBooks Database server allows its users to enjoy multiple QuickBooks versions. To ensure that the user is using the recent year’s service running as a background application, it makes network data files. Besides, it also creates .ND files for any company file on the host computer. Moreover, the users can sync their company file with another computer. QBDBSM allows you to access the multi-user network, and thus you can work on the same file simultaneously.
After getting a brief idea about the QBDB server manager, let’s move ahead and learn how to install it.
How To Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
Here, we have listed the steps that you need to follow to install the QB Database Server Manager:
Step 1: Download QB Database Server Manager
Database Server Manager comes along with the QB Desktop(Pro, Premier & Enterprise) versions. Therefore, when you download the QuickBooks Desktop, the QuickBooks Server Manager is downloaded along. Further, you may follow the below-listed steps to install QuickBooks Desktop.
- Firstly, you have to download QuickBooks Desktop from the QuickBooks Product Download Page and save it in an easily accessible location.
- Then, open the downloaded QuickBooks.exe file and agree to the software License Agreement.
- Now, click on Next and enter the Product and License Number.
- After that, select the Install type from the following options: Express, or Custom, and Network.
- At last, you have to Activate and Update QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 2: Install Intuit QB Database Server Manager
You have to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the computer that hosts your company files.
Important: If you are somebody who hosts multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on your network, you must install them in a specified order i.e., from the oldest version to the recent one.
- At first, close all the programs running on your server computer.
- Then, search for the Setup_QuickBooks.exe file and follow the on-screen installation instructions.
- When asked, select the install type from Custom or Network.
- Now, click on Next without selecting Express.
- After that, choose the best option for network setup and click on Next. Both options will install the Database Server Manager. If you have installed QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer, it won’t overwrite any existing company data.
- For those who want to use both Database Server Manager and QuickBooks Desktop on the server computer, select the option: I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing.
- If you only want a Database Server Manager on your server computer, select the option: I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop.
- Lastly, follow the onscreen instructions and click on Install.
Step 3: Set Your Firewall Permissions
For detailed troubleshooting, follow Method 4 of the article QuickBooks Error H505.
Step 4: Update QuickBooks Desktop Database Server Manager
You don’t need to update the QuickBooks Enterprise Database Server Manager separately. The updates are installed automatically while updating the QuickBooks Desktop. Follow the method given below for manually updating it:
- To begin, open the Windows menu and click on Programs.
- There, you have to search for QuickBooks desktop database server manager and click on Updates.
- At last, follow the on-screen instructions for completing the updates of the QuickBooks enterprise database server manager.
How To Setup & Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
After you install the Database Server Manager, you need to scan your company files. After that, try accessing the company files from other computers on your network. This allows multiple users on your network to work simultaneously in QuickBooks Desktop from multiple computers.
Step 1: Scan your folders
You need to scan the folders storing your company files before you begin sharing them:
- Open the Windows menu on your server computer.
- In the search bar, type in Database and open QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Then, navigate to the Scan Folders tab.
- Now, select Browse and select the folder in which your company file is stored.
- Click on OK after selecting the required folder and then select Start Scan.
- When the scan completes, the folder will display in the “QuickBooks company files found” section. You will be able to access the company files in these folders from other computers on your network.
Step 2: Monitor your Drives
The scanned folders are stored in the drives that appear under the Monitored Drives tab. Monitoring your drives will ensure that you don’t need to rescan if you move or change your company files in them.
- Navigate to the Monitored Drives tab in the first place.
- Select the checkboxes for the hard drives in which your company files are stored.
- Re-scan won’t be needed if you ever change or move company files on the drive.
How To Configure QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
If you don’t want to use the default settings, then you can follow the below-given steps to configure the QB database server manager:
- Firstly, click on the Windows menu.
- Then, type Services in the search bar and open it.
- Now, select and open QuickBooksDBXX.
- Navigate to the General tab and search for the Service status section. If it’s set at Started or Running, change it to Stop.
- Select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu.
- Now, go to the Logon tab and select the option Local System account.
- Go to the Recovery tab and select Restart the Service option for all of these dropdown menus: First, Second, and Subsequent failures.
- Lastly, go back to the General tab again and select Start to restart Database Server Manager.
How To Fix Errors Related To Database Server Manager?
You must restart Database Server Manager on your server computer if you cannot open it or come across an error. For that, you may follow the below-mentioned steps.
If you installed QuickBooks Desktop and Database Server Manager:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on the host computer> File menu> Open or Restore Company.
- Then, click on the option Open a company file and then open it.
- Click on Next and checkmark Open file in multi-user mode.
- Select open and log in to your company file.
- After that, go to the File menu and select Close Company/Log off. It will close the company file located on the server.
- Afterward, open the Windows menu and type Database for opening the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
If you only installed Database Server Manager:
- At first, open the Start menu followed by the Control Panel.
- Then, select the Administrative Tools to choose the Services from the list.
- Right-click on the QuickBooksDBXX service and select Restart.
- If the Database Server Manager doesn’t restart, then you can try restarting your server computer. You may follow the same steps again.
Need Professional Assistance For Server Manager Issues?
We have tried our best to give all the information regarding QuickBooks Database Server Manager. If you need any further assistance, feel free to give us a call on our Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number. Our experts are available round the clock to help you.
QB DB Server Manager(QBDSM) FAQs:
It is the QuickBooksDB31 for QuickBooks Desktop 21.
You need the QB database server manager if you want access to your company file in the multi-user network. Without it, you won’t be able to open it.
You need to fulfill the following requirements for QBDBSM:
Windows: US version of Windows.
Processor: 2.4 GHz minimum
RAM: 4GB minimum, 8GB recommended for 1-5 users
Disk Space: 2.5GB of disk space
At first, click on the Windows icon.
Then, select the Control Panel.
After that, double-click on the Administrative Tools followed by Services.
Now, you have to select the correct data manager as per your business need:
Lastly, you can restart your system.