Many business owners prefer to have their data in a hard copy format to ensure the safety of their company information. QuickBooks offers an option to print all the important documents such as reports, files, forms, etc. Sometimes QuickBooks fails to export files to excel which causes an issue for users. The issue of Quickbooks export to excel not working means that the users are unable to export their data files to excel format. Thus they are unable to print out reports and other lists. It can affect the users in different ways, such as the export option for excel is greyed out, excel could not open the QuickBooks data file etc. Let’s look at why this issue might arise and what shall be done to fix it.
If you are also facing QuickBooks export to excel not working issue and are looking for some technical assistance to fix it, contact Asquare Cloud Hosting’s expert team at +1.855.738.0359, and our experts will help you fix it.
Table of Contents
How Does Export to Excel Issues in QuickBooks Affect Your System?
The problem remains the same for all the users that they are unable to export the required data although they might be affected in a different manner:-
- QuickBooks Crashes when exporting to excel
- QuickBooks Freezes When exporting to excel
- Export option for excel is grayed out
- QuickBooks excel could not open the data files
Reasons Why QuickBooks Won’t Export To Excel
The reasons why QuickBooks won’t export to excel files are related to faults in your system or QuickBooks. Here is the list of all the possible reasons:-
- Your system is not compatible with the QuickBooks application.
- You are running an outdated QuickBooks version.
- MS Excel application is corrupted.
- Window Users Account Control (UAC) settings are incorrect.
- Old or damaged cache files of your web browser.
How to fix the “Quickbooks Export to excel not working” issue?
The troubleshooting steps for “QuickBooks Export to excel not working” issue involve making changes to your system and application. Users need to change users’ account control settings and update or reinstall on their system to fix this error. Let’s look at the step-by-step guide for the same:-
Solution 1- Check QuickBooks and Microsoft Office Compatibility
MS Excel and QuickBooks are required to be compatible together for the reports to get exported. Your QuickBooks won’t export to excel in case they are not compatible. Before you start the next solutions, check version compatibility. So, here we suggest you inspect the system requirements of ideal versions of Microsoft Office with each version of QuickBooks (2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020).
Your Microsoft Office for QBD 2020 are:-
- Microsoft Office 2019 (Compatible with R3 and later).
- MS Office 2016 (including Outlook 2016) both on 32 and 64-bit.
- Microsoft Office 2010 SP2, Office 2013, and 365 (including Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013) both on 32 and 64-bit.
Note: You need to locally install Office 365 as the web version won’t work.
- Estimates, invoices, and other forms can be emailed using Microsoft Outlook 2010-2016, Microsoft Outlook with Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and Outlook.com, as well as other email clients that support SMTP.
- Microsoft Word 2016, 2013, or 2010 or Office 365 are required for letter writing (includes 64-bit)
- MS Excel 2016, 2013, or 2010 SP2 or Office 365 are required to export reports (includes 64-bit).
- Microsoft Outlook 2010 is required for contact synchronization (32-bit).
- QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook is required for synchronization with Outlook (the download is available at no charge).
Note: The Microsoft Business Contact Manager Outlook plug-in does not support Contact Sync. It’s possible that syncing will result in duplicate records.
Solution 2- Update QuickBooks Desktop
An outdated version of the QuickBooks desktop application is one big reason for the “Quickbooks Export to excel not working” issue. Simply just updating it and then running the reports can help you fix it:-
- Close your company file and then run QuickBooks Application.
- Tap on the Windows Start button and search for QuickBooks.
- Right on the QB icon and select Run As Administrator.
- Now in the No Company Open window, click on the Help menu and choose Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Tap on Options tab and choose Mark All and then click on Save.
- Go to the Update Now tab and tick mark Reset Update checkbox.
- Click on the Get Updates button once you are ready.
- Now reopen QuickBooks desktop application and tap on Yes to install the updates.
- Once the process is over, go on the Reports menu and open any report on the list.
- Tap on the Excel button.
Solution 3:- Repairing Microsoft Office
Damaged MS office is one reason why the export option for excel is greyed out in QuickBooks. You can simply fix it by repairing MS Office. Here are the steps you need to follow:-
The given steps are for Windows 10.
- Right-click on the Window start button and choose Apps and Features from the list.
- Choose Microsoft Office Excel to repair and tap on Modify.
Note:- Even if you only want to repair one application, such as Word or Excel, these steps will repair the complete Office suite. If you have a standalone app installed, type its name into the search box.
- You’ll get the following options to proceed with the repair depending on whether your copy of Office is Click-to-run or MSI-based. Depending on the type of installation, follow the instructions below.
- Click-to-run: “How would you like to repair your Office Programs” window will open. Choose Online Repair and then click on Repair to make sure everything is fixed correctly.
- MSI-based: Select Repair in Change your installation window and tap on Continue.
- Follow on screen instructions and complete the repair process.
Solution 4: Reinstall QuickBooks To Export QuickBooks To Excel
You need to install Microsoft Office and Excel on your system before you install QuickBooks. QuickBooks Unable to export to excel error is possibly occurring because you did not have Microsoft office prior to QuickBooks. In such a situation, you need to uninstall the QuickBooks application and then reinstall it.
Check if the “Quickbooks Export to excel not working” issue has been resolved or not. You can try to uninstall and then reinstall Excel.
Solution 5: Change Windows User Account Control (UAC) configuration.
There is a possibility that QuickBooks won’t export to excel because User Account Control is blocking this feature. You need to just toggle your Windows UAC settings to on and off in order to fix it:-
Note: The given steps are for Windows 7,8 and Windows 10.
- Tap on the Windows Start button and search User Account Control Settings in the search bar. Now open User Account Control Settings.
- Choose and move the slider to Never Notify and then tap on OK.
- Now restart your system.
Solution 6: Change web browser, run private window, and clear cookies
Failure on your Web browser part is a major reason why the “Quickbooks online export to excel not working” issue arises. Whenever you visit websites, your web browser generates cookies and cache files to load the site faster next time. Old and damaged cookies and cache files can obstruct your QBO file from performing its functions.
Try using a different web browser to access your QBO company file and print a report. If that does not work, you can simply go back to your previous web browser and try to perform the same steps in the private window as it remains unaffected from damaged cookie or cache files. The shortcuts to access private windows are different for each web browser. You must clear your cookies and cache if the “QuickBooks online export to excel not working” issue is resolved using a private window.
So now we are aware of what to perform when the “QuickBooks Export to excel not working” issue arises. We discussed the possible reasons and troubleshooting methods for the same. If the error still persists on your system and you don’t know what to do next, try reaching out to our experts at Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number (+1.855.738.0359) and they will guide you in a better manner.
Export To Excel Issues In QuickBooks Desktop FAQ
When the Excel Add-In is installed, a new CData data access toolbar appears in Excel, which users may use to connect to QuickBooks data. Users can select the installed CData Add-ins from excel toolbar and access the live Quickbooks data from any number of companies.
There are a series of steps that you need to follow in order to export reports to excel in QuickBooks Online. You need to have your QuickBooks file open and then follow these instructions:-
1- Click on Reports.
2- Look for the report you wish to export.
3- There will be an Export icon at the top of the report. Tap on it and select Export to Excel.
4- Save your file where it is easy to find, such as desktop or download folder.
Note: The file is in a protected view if you can’t find any data when you open it in Excel. To see the entire report in Excel, you’ll need to enable editing.
You can simply export invoice from QuickBooks to excel by going through the Reports tab. The step by step guide to do so is:-
1- Tap on the Reports tab.
2- Enter the Invoice list in the search bar and then press enter.
3- Customise the report period as per your requirements and then tap on Run report.
4- Click on the Export button in the report page and tap on Export to excel.
You need to install the QuickBooks Import Excel and CSV toolkit in order to export item list from Quickbooks to excel. After that you need to follow these steps:-
1- Tap on the lists menu and then select the item list.
2- Click on Excel and then select Export all items.
3- In the Export window you need to select create a comma separate values(.csv) file.
4- Tap on Export.
5- Now you need to give a name to your file and then select the location where you want to save it.
6- Now On your system, open the file and edit it as per your requirements.