Did you come across an error message while creating or opening a portable company file (.qbm)? We know it must have stressed you, but you don’t need to. In this article, we’ll help you get aware of the possible steps by following which you would be able to fix QuickBooks Desktop and thus, you’’ be able to restore QuickBooks portable company file. It will allow you to use your portable company file to move your accounting data or repair your file. To restore the file, you must proceed with the steps mentioned in the next section of this blog.
Looking for a way to restore the portable files for QuickBooks? Don’t worry! Reach out to our experts by dialing our Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number at +1.855.738.0359 and get immediate assistance.
Unable To Restore A QuickBooks Portable Company File? Follow The Below Steps
Here, we have mentioned all steps that will help you restore QuickBooks portable company file:
Step 1: Create a manual copy of your company file
You can try creating a copy of your primary company file and use it to create an additional portable copy. To do so, proceed with the below-given steps:
- Click on the Windows icon and type “File Explorer” into the search space and open File Explorer.
- Search and find the folder named as QuickBooks folder in which you have stored the company file.
After that, follow the steps depending on what you were doing i.e. creating or restoring QuickBooks Portable Company File while you end up with the QuickBooks not responding while creating portable company file error.
If you were creating portable company file:
- Search for the company file that has the .qbw extension. It should look like: [Your Company File].qbw.
- Right-click the file and select the copy option.
- Now, go to your Windows desktop, right-click anywhere and select Paste.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop application.
Note: Make sure to not open the company file.
- Further, click on opening or restore an existing file option followed by Open a company file.
- Browse your computer and open the copied company file that you pasted to your Windows desktop.
- In the open copy of your company file drop-down, go to the File menu and select Create Copy option.
- There, select the Portable company file option and then Next.
- At last, follow the instructions that appear on your screen to create another portable company file.
If you were able to create a portable company file, it signifies that there’s an issue with the location of your original company file. Thus, from now onwards make sure to use the copied company file as your main company file. Moreover, rename your original company file by adding old in the name so that you don’t use it again.
If you were restoring a portable company file
- Search your portable company file, it would have a .qbm extension. It should look like this: [Your Company File].qbm.
- Right-click the file and select Copy.
- Navigate to the Windows desktop, right-click anywhere and select Paste.
- Now, open QuickBooks but don’t open your company file.
- After that, select Opening or restore an existing file option followed by Restore a portable file.
- Lastly, browse your computer and open the copied portable company file that you pasted to your Windows desktop.
It’s great if you’re able to open the copied portable company file, as you can use it to move your accounting data. To avoid using the older file, rename the original portable file by adding old at the end of it.
Step 2: Open a sample company file
To make sure, if there’s a major issue with your company file, you can create a portable company file by using a sample company file. For doing so, proceed with the below-given steps:
- Open QuickBooks and select Open a Sample File in place of selecting your company file.
- In the sample company file, create a portable company file by following the steps that appear on your screen.
- Once created, save it on your Windows desktop.
- Open QuickBooks application, go to the File menu and select Close Company/Logoff option.
- Follow the on-screen steps to open the portable company file you created in the sample company.
If you were able to restore QuickBooks portable company file from the sample company, it signifies that there is some issue with the main company file.
Need Professionals Help To Restore QuickBooks Portable Company File!
Hopefully, the above-mentioned steps would have helped you restore QuickBooks portable company file without much trouble. If it doesn’t and you need experts’ help, then, we would suggest you contact us by giving us a call on Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number at +1.855.738.0359
Related Search Terms
Restore Portable Copy of Company File, cannot restore portable company file QuickBooks. QuickBooks not responding while creating portable company file,