Even though Quickbooks keeps on upgrading and evolving- there are still a few errors that keep hindering the workflow. Getting QuickBooks Error H202 in a desktop is one of them. So, if you have been getting this issue on your PC, this is how you can get rid of it- quickly!
In today’s time of advanced technology, businesses also need to up their workflow to enhance profitability. For that, the amazing features of QuickBooks will work the best. Yet, technical glitches come along with every software. Similarly, you might end up with Error H202 in QuickBooks Desktop while trying to access a company file that you have stored on a different computer. And thus, it demands an additional installation and setup.
Majorly, it arises in multi-user mode. Several other reasons lead to this error code, thus, you need to fix it at the earliest. For that, you may follow this blog. Here, we have covered the causes and Solutions for QuickBooks Desktop Error H202.
Still clueless on how to turn on the multi-user mode in QuickBooks? Get in touch with one of our professionals by giving us a call on our helpline number +1.855.738.0359. Let Experts troubleshoot for you.
What Is QuickBooks Error Code H202?
Before you go ahead and begin fixing the QB error H202. It’s essential to understand what QuickBooks error H202 means. Quickbooks multi-user mode error H202 occurs when the workstation fails to communicate with the Company file. Thus, the user won’t be able to access the company file. An error message will appear on your screen when you try to use QuickBooks in multi-user mode. It states:
“You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202)”
It signifies that the multi-user connection to the server has been blocked. You might be thinking about why it happens. Hence, to help you out, we have listed below the possible reasons for QuickBooks error H202 Fix.
Read more: How To Resolve QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Error?
What Are The Causes Of QuickBooks Desktop Error H202?
There are several reasons due to why the H202 error code QuickBooks takes place. Here, we have listed a few of them:
- While opening a company file, QuickBooks is unable to open the company file.
- Incorrect hosting configuration.
- Damaged.ND files that restrict QuickBooks from accessing company files.
- QuickBooks workstation cannot ping the host computer.
- The configuration of DNS is incorrect.
- You haven’t started QB services like QuickBooksDBXX/QBCF.
How To Identify QuickBooks Error H202
Now that you have known the causes of QuickBooks error H202, the user needs to know how to identify it. To make it easy for you, we have mentioned below the major signs that you may come across:
- The error H202 in QuickBooks will appear on your screen.
- When it takes place, your QuickBooks Crashes.
- Your computer works more slowly than usual and takes longer to respond to commands.
- It won’t allow you to switch to multi-user mode.
- Besides, you won’t be able to open the company file on another computer.
You might be wondering how to get rid of it. If that’s your concern, then you no longer need to worry. We have listed all the resolution methods to help you resolve the H202 error mode QuickBooks.
How Do I Fix QuickBooks Error H202?
To fix QuickBooks error H202, resolve network connectivity issues and regain access to your company file. Follow step-by-step instructions to configure firewall settings, verify hosting settings, and troubleshoot DNS. Ensure seamless accounting operations with our proven solutions. Don’t let QuickBooks Error H202 hinder your productivity. Check below:
NOTE: Before you begin troubleshooting QB Error Code H202, make sure you have logged in as an administrator.
Method 1: Check The Network Connectivity
To get rid of the Intuit QuickBooks error H202 server, you must ping your server from the affected workstation. This will help you to check the connectivity issues with network connection. Also, you will have to do the same process from all the workstations getting the QuickBooks error H202 workstation configuration message.
NOTE: If you aren’t aware of the server name, you have to turn on “Network Discovery” on your server computer and the workstation on which the error occurred. And then you will have to follow these steps to ensure that the network connectivity is not causing this problem.
- Start the process by opening “Windows Start Menu” on the server and all the workstations getting this problem.
- Then go to the search bar and type “Network” in the space provided.
- From all the options you get, just open “Network and Sharing Center.”
- Next, you will have to select the “change advanced sharing settings” option from the list.
- Also, ensure that “Turn on network discovery” is selected in “Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing Section.”
Now, after this, you will have to get the server name from your server computer. And for that, you will have to follow these steps:
- First step is to open the “Window Start Menu” on your server computer.
- And then in the search bar you will have to type “Run” and hit the enter button.
- This will open a dialogue box where you will have to type “CMD” and then press the “enter button” on your keyboard once again.
- Now, you will have to type “ipconfig/all” in the CMD window you have just opened.
- And after this you need to click the enter button.
- Now, as soon as you hit the enter button, you will get the “Host Name” as well as the “Windows IP Address.”
- Write it down somewhere because you are going to need it later.
Now, to fix Error Code H202 QuickBooks 2018 or H202 Error QuickBooks 2019 you will have to execute a couple of steps as well. You need to first go to the workstation. To check the server and test it once.
NOTE: If you are unable to execute these steps or if they seem complex to you, just contact an IT professional for help.
But if you can, here is what should be done to fix QuickBooks Error Code H202.
- Yet again, you will have to open the “Start Menu” on your workstation getting “QuickBooks Cannot Switch to Multi-User Mode H202” issue.
- Next, you will again have to open the run dialogue box the same way you did earlier.
- In the Run Window, you will have to again type “CMD” and then press the enter key on the keyboard.
- Next, you will have to type “Ping [the server name you noted]” and then press the enter key.
NOTE: You must keep space between ping and your server name. Besides, don’t include brackets while writing the server name.
- And then you need to repeat these steps with all the workstations getting “QB Error H202 in Desktop.”
If you receive a slow reply, it signifies that you need to repair your network. In such a situation, proceed with the next one.
You may also read:- What is QuickBooks Error H505? Causes & Solutions
Method 2: Download, Install and Use Network Diagnostic Tool
Network Diagnostic Tool can fix the issues related to connectivity and multi-user mode.
- First, you have to download and install the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool.
- Then, browse the folder where you have stored your company file.
- After that, note down the IP address and Network Interfaces.
- Make sure if your Firewall Status section has the Open Ports button. If yes, then click on it and allow the ports for QuickBooks.
- Once done, check for data connectivity.
- Lastly, try to open your company file.
If somehow, the QuickBooks error H202 continues & blocking access. Then, we suggest you add the QuickBooks ports to the list of exceptions in the firewall.
Also read: How to troubleshoot Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks?
Method 3: Download & Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Users use different third-party programs to resolve the error code H202 in QuickBooks. Moreover, you can easily fix the error by downloading and running the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
Method 4: Make Sure the QuickBooks Services are Running
Note: Before starting this process or solution, if you are a “Quickbooks full version” user, then first you will have to turn on the multi-user hosting on the server PC. Here is how you can do it quickly!
- Launch the Quickbooks application on the server PC.
- Navigate to the “File” menu and then choose “utilities.”
- If you see the “host multi-user access” option; just click on it.
- But if you see the “stop hosting multi-user access” this means the mode is already functioning on your PC.
The QuickBooks services need to keep running on the server computer. Follow the below-listed steps to make sure if the QuickBooksDBXX services are running. If they are, then you must repeat it for QBCFMonitorService.
- Firstly, you will have to open the “Start Menu” on the server PC itself.
- Then type “Run” in the Windows search bar and hit the enter button to open the window.
- Next you will have to type “services.msc” in the window and then click the “Enter button.”
- Then, double-click QuickBooksDBXX from the list.
NOTE: Here, XX denotes the QB version.
- It will display the QuickBooksDBXX Properties window. From there, select Automatic as the Startup Type.
- You have to set the Service status to either Running or Started.
- Then, select the start> Recovery tab.
- Select the option “Restart the Service” from the drop-down menu: First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures.
- Lastly, click “Apply” followed by “OK” to save the changes.
You must repeat the above steps for QBCFMonitorService. Once you have followed the above steps, open QuickBooks on each workstation. Then, click the File menu and select the option “Switch to Multi-user Mode.” Now, you can open all that you want as your QuickBooks error H202 is fixed.
Method 5: Add your Server to Windows Hosts File
Edit the file for adding your server computer to the Windows hosts file. Further, you may follow the below-given steps to proceed:
Note: You can also execute this solution before accessing any company file.
- Start by opening Quickbooks on one of your workstations getting the H202 error.
- Do not open the company file; rather when you open QB click on “File Menu” and just hover the cursor over “Utilities.”
- By doing so, if you are able to see the “Host Multi-User Access” option, that means the multi-user mode is already working. You do not have to select anything. And end this solution here itself because the server is not causing the issue.
- And you will simply have to move to the next workstation and reach this point in the same way.
- The workstation where you see the “host multi-user access” option on the screen, then you have to choose it. This will start the function.
- Do this on all the computers you see the error.
Once all the workstations are checked, head to the server PC and follow this.
- Open your Quickbooks Desktop on your server PC.
- Next, click on “File” and just hover the cursor over “Utilities.”
- Check whether the “host multi-user access” is available as an option. If you see it, just click on it.
Once you have followed all the above steps, try to open the company file in multi-user mode. If this doesn’t resolve the QuickBooks enterprise error code H202, jump to the next one.
Method 6: Create a New Folder for Your QBW File
You may also try to create a new folder for the QBW file by following the below steps:
- Create a new folder on the server computer.
- Then, you have to share the folder.
- Now, try to set up a folder and Windows access permissions for sharing the company files.
- After that, you must copy the QuickBooks Database (QBW) file to the new folder.
- Lastly, try opening the company file in multi-user mode.
Method 7: Set Hosting to Local Files & resolve QuickBooks error H202
You can follow the below steps to make sure that no other client system is trying to host the same company file:
- Firstly, you have to start QuickBooks.
- Then, press F2 to open the Product Information screen.
- Under Local Server Information, select Hosting to reflect ‘local files only.’
Method 8: Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
By following the above methods, if you aren’t able to fix the error H202 in QuickBooks. Then, there is another method to resolve this, which is using the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Firstly, click on the Start menu.
- In the search field, type in “Database.”
- From the list, select the option QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Then, search the folder in which you have stored the company file and open it.
- After that, click on the Scan option.
- Moving ahead, you have to fix the firewall setting with QBDB server manager.
- Click on the Close icon, once the scanning process finishes.
- Open QuickBooks on each workstation on which the error appeared.
- Then, navigate to the File menu and click on it.
- Lastly, click on the option “Switch to multi-user mode.”
- If the error H202 resolves, you will be able to use QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
Method 9: Delete and Recreate the .ND file to fix QuickBooks error H202
At times, deleting and recreating the corrupt .ND file can help you fix the multi-user error code H202:
- Type *.ND in the Windows search box and then press the Enter key.
- Right-click on the .ND file and click Delete.
- When asked, confirm the deletion.
- Click on the Start icon.
- Select All Programs> QuickBooks> QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Now, click on Scan Folder> Add Folder.
- After that, search and select the company file folder and click on OK.
- Now, start the scanning process by clicking on the scan.
- Once it completes, click Close.
Method 10: Including Quickbooks ports in the Firewall
Sometimes, the firewall obstructs the communication of the multi-user mode in QB. To save yourself from this problem; you can include a few ports that are given below. That’s an easy way out of the problem and can be tried.
- QB 2017 Ports: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- QB 2016 Ports: 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
- QB 2018 Ports: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
We hope the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this blog would have helped you eliminate QuickBooks Error H202 without any trouble. If you are stuck with any query while hosting a company file on a non-Windows server, then in that situation, you must contact Asquare Cloud Hosting’s expert team at +1.855.738.0359. Our experts are available 24X7 to assist you with the handiest solutions.
FAQs On QuickBooks Error H202 Hosting Configuration
QuickBooks Error H202 can be identified through the following signs:
1- An error message with the code “H202” appears on your screen.
2- You are unable to access a company file stored on a different computer or server.
3- QuickBooks takes a longer time than usual to open a company file hosted on a network.
The multi-user mode in QuickBooks becomes unresponsive or fails to function correctly.
If you encounter any of these indications while using QuickBooks, it is likely that you are facing Error H202. Identifying the error accurately is crucial for resolving it effectively and ensuring smooth access to your company file.
To fix Error H202, you need to include certain ports in your firewall settings. The specific ports you should include are:
1- TCP port 8019: This port is used for QuickBooks Desktop version year 2018 and later.
2- TCP port 56728: This port is used for QuickBooks Desktop version year 2017 and earlier.
Yes, deleting and recreating the .ND (Network Data) file can help resolve H202 issues. The .ND file is a configuration file that allows QuickBooks to access a company file over the network. Sometimes, this file may get corrupted or outdated, leading to connection issues and the H202 error. By deleting the .ND file associated with the company file causing the error, QuickBooks will recreate a new .ND file with the updated network settings. This can often fix the H202 error by establishing a fresh connection between QB and the company file, resolving any network-related issues in the process.