In today’s time of advanced technology, businesses also need to up their workflow to enhance profitability. For that, the amazing features of QuickBooks will work the best. However, technical glitches come along with every software. Similarly, you might end up with QuickBooks error H202 while trying to access a company file that you have stored on a different computer. And thus, it demands an additional installation and setup. Majorly, it arises in multi-user mode. Several other reasons lead to this error code, and therefore, you need to fix it at the earliest. For that, you may follow this blog. Here, we have covered the causes and their resolution methods.
Wondering how to turn on multi-user mode in QuickBooks? Get in touch with our professionals by giving us a call on our Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number.
What Does QuickBooks Error Code H202 Mean?
Before you go ahead and begin fixing the QB error H202, it’s essential to understand what the issue is all about. Quickbooks multi-user mode error occurs when the workstation fails to communicate with the Company file, and thus, the user won’t be able to access the company file. An error message will appear on your screen when you try to use QuickBooks in multi-user mode. It states:
“You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202)”
It signifies that the multi-user connection to the server has been blocked. You might be thinking about why it happens. Hence, to help you out, we have listed below the possible reasons for QuickBooks error H202.
What Are The Causes Of QuickBooks Desktop Error H202?
There are several reasons due to why the H202 error mode QuickBooks takes place. Here, we have listed a few of them:
- While opening a company file, QuickBooks is unable to open the company file.
- Incorrect hosting configuration.
- Damaged .ND files that restrict QuickBooks from accessing company files.
- QuickBooks workstation cannot ping the host computer.
- The configuration of DNS is incorrect.
- You haven’t started QB services like QuickBooksDBXX/QBCF.
How To Identify QuickBooks Error H202
Now that you have known the causes of QuickBooks error H202, the user needs to know how to identify it. To make it easy for you, we have mentioned below the major signs that you may come across:
- The error H202 in QuickBooks will appear on your screen.
- When it takes place, your QuickBooks may freeze.
- Your computer becomes inactive.
- It won’t allow you to switch to the multi-user mode.
- Besides, you won’t be able to open the company file on another computer.
You might be wondering how to get rid of it? If that’s your concern, then you no longer need to worry. We have listed down all the resolution methods that can help you resolve the H202 error mode QuickBooks.
How To Fix QuickBooks Error H202?
Note: Before you begin troubleshooting QuickBooks error code H202, make sure you have logged in as an administrator.
Method 1: Check The Network Connectivity
To get rid of the Intuit QuickBooks error H202, you must ping your server from the affected workstation to check the network connection.
NOTE: If you aren’t aware of the server name, then you have to turn on “Network Discovery” on your server computer and the workstation on which the error took place.
Follow the below-given steps to ping your server:
- In the Windows search bar, type in Run to open the Run window.
- There, type in cmd and press the Enter key.
- You have to enter ping [servername] to ping the server name and press the Enter key from your workstation.
NOTE: You must keep space between ping and your server name. Besides, don’t include brackets while writing the server name.
If you receive a slow reply, it signifies that you need to repair your network. In such a situation, proceed with the next one.
Method 2: Download, Install and Utilize Network Diagnostic Tool
Network Diagnostic Tool can fix the issues related to connectivity and multi-user mode.
- At first, you have to download and install the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool.
- Then, browse the folder where you have stored your company file.
- After that, note down the IP address and Network Interfaces.
- Make sure if your Firewall Status section has the Open Ports button. If yes, then click on it and allow the ports for QuickBooks.
- Once done, check for data connectivity.
- Lastly, try to open your company file.
If somehow, the QuickBooks error H202 continues. Then, we suggest you add the QuickBooks ports to the list of exceptions in the firewall.
Method 3: Confirm Internet Connectivity
- Turn the Hosting off for all workstations.
- Now, ping the server name.
- In the meantime, Type server name and press Enter.
- Now, check for the response.
Method 4: Download & Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Users use different third-party programs to resolve the error code H202 in QuickBooks. Moreover, you can easily fix the error by downloading and running the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
Method 5: Make Sure the QuickBooks Services are Running
The QuickBooks services need to keep running on the server computer. Follow the below-listed steps to make sure if the QuickBooksDBXX services are running. If they are, then you must repeat it for QBCFMonitorService.
- Firstly, type Run into the Windows search bar.
- Type services.msc in the Run window and press the Enter key.
- Then, double-click QuickBooksDBXX from the list.
NOTE: Here, XX denotes the QB version.
- It will display the QuickBooksDBXX Properties window. From there, select Automatic as the Startup Type.
- You have to set the Service status to either Running or Started.
- Then, select the start> Recovery tab.
- Select the option “Restart the Service” from the drop-down menu: First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures.
- Lastly, click Apply followed by OK to save the changes.
You must repeat the above steps for QBCFMonitorService. Once you have followed the above steps, open QuickBooks on each workstation. Then, click the File menu and select the option “Switch to Multi-user Mode.” Now, you can open all that you want as your QuickBooks error H202 is fixed.
Method 6: Add your Server to Windows Hosts File
Edit the file for adding your computer server to the Windows hosts file. Further, you may follow the below-given steps to proceed:
- Open the Windows hosts file by browsing any of the following paths:
- Then, double-click the hosts file.
- Select Notepad, when asked with ‘How do you want to open this file.’
- In the hosts file, enter the Server’s IP address followed by the server name.
NOTE: To separate the IP address and server name, you must use the TAB key.
- Choose Save from the File menu.
- Lastly, click on Exit.
Once you have followed all the above steps, try to open the company file in multi-user mode. If this doesn’t resolve the QuickBooks enterprise error code H202, jump to the next one.
Method 7: Create a New Folder for Your QBW File
You may also try to create a new folder for the QBW file by following the below steps:
- Create a new folder on the server computer.
- Then, you have to share the folder.
- Now, try to set up a folder and Windows access permissions for sharing the company files.
- After that, you must copy the QuickBooks Database (QBW) file to the new folder.
- Lastly, try opening the company file in multi-user mode.
Method 8: Set Hosting to Local Files & resolve QuickBooks error H202
You can follow the below steps to make sure that no other client system is trying to host the same company file:
- Firstly, you have to start QuickBooks.
- Then, press F2 to open the Product Information screen.
- Under Local Server Information, select Hosting to reflect ‘local files only.’
Method 9: Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
By following the above methods, if you aren’t able to fix the error H202 in QuickBooks, then there is another method to resolve this, that is using the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Firstly, click on the Start menu.
- In the search field, type in “Database.”
- From the list, select the option QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Then, search the folder in which you have stored the company file and open it.
- After that, click on the Scan option.
- Moving ahead, you have to fix the firewall setting with QBDB server manager.
- Click on the Close icon, once the scanning process finishes.
- Open QuickBooks on each workstation on which the error appeared.
- Then, navigate to the File menu and click on it.
- Lastly, click on the option “Switch to multi-user mode.”
- If the error H202 resolves, you will be able to use QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
Method 10: Delete and Recreate the .ND file to fix QuickBooks error H202
At times, deleting and recreating the corrupt .ND file can help you fix the multi-user error code H202:
- Type *.ND in the Windows search box and then press the Enter key.
- Right-click on the .ND file and click Delete.
- When asked, confirm the deletion.
- Click on the Start icon.
- Select All Programs> QuickBooks> QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Now, click on Scan Folder> Add Folder.
- After that, search and select the company file folder and click on OK.
- Now, start the scanning process by clicking on the scan.
- Once it completes, click Close.
We hope the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this blog would have helped you eliminate QuickBooks error H202 without any trouble. If you are stuck with any query while hosting a company file on a non-Windows server, then in that situation, you must contact Asquare Cloud Hosting’s expert team. Our experts are available 24X7 to assist you with the handiest solutions.