Like any other software, there are several files required by QuickBooks that support different features and functions of the application. QuickBooks Company File (.QBW) stores all your business information, including customer details, payroll data, personal banking information, financial details, and employee info. Ever imagined what you would do if your company file got damaged or if you lost it? It will surely be a nightmare for you. Don’t panic! With QuickBooks restore company files feature, you can recover your data. However, the issue arises when QuickBooks restore failed while restoring a backup of your company file in the QuickBooks Desktop application by giving an error message stating:
Error: Failed or QuickBooks Restore failed error while restoring the backup of the QuickBooks data file.
The following errors are displayed to the user, when restoring a backup
Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File
Error: Restore failed. Can’t remove log file
The file name may also display as *.qbw when attempting to save the restored file. However, several reasons trigger this issue, we have mentioned all such reasons along with effective troubleshooting methods further in this article.
For instant help to resolve Error: Failed or Error: Restore Failed in QuickBooks, Connect with an expert team of Asquare Cloud Hosting at +1-(855)-738-0359 to fix issues when QuickBooks unable to restore backup file.
What Are The Causes Of QuickBooks Won’t Restore Backup Error?
You might end up with a QuickBooks Restore failed error while trying to restore a backup of a QuickBooks company file. Moreover, an restore of backup failed error message might display the name of the file that you are trying to restore with the .qbw extension.
- You might have included special characters (/ < >! $) while naming your company file name.
- The backup that you restored was over an existing company file.
- The probability is high that you have restored the backup from a USB flash drive to a network drive (Error -6189, -816).
- You might be using a damaged or corrupt company file.
- The backup was created in a newer version of the QuickBooks desktop application. For example Backup was created in QuickBooks 2019, but you’re restoring it in QuickBooks 2018.
- The company file you’re trying to restore isn’t an actual backup file.
Important: Before proceeding to the troubleshooting steps, check the size of your backup file. The backup should not be less than 6MB (6MB = 6,000KB). If in case, it’s less than that, then the chances are high that it’s not a true backup file, and you’ll need to create a backup from the working file. To verify the size of your company file, right-click the file and select the Properties option.
Troubleshooting Steps To Fix QuickBooks Company File Restore Failed
As mentioned above, the reasons that QuickBooks cannot remove log file errors vary and so do the resolution methods. Thankfully, comes to the rescue when issues with the company file are found. All you need is a prior backup of the company file, and you can restore it with a few clicks. Restoring a company file from the backup is a relatively straightforward process. Below we have listed all the effective troubleshooting solutions that can help you fix QuickBooks restore failed can’t remove log file issue.
Solution 1: Remove special characters from your company file name
- Firstly, you have to search for the location of your company file.
Note: See search for files using Windows if you need additional help locating your file.
- Right-click the file name and select the Rename option.
- Further, you have to create a file name with no special characters and press the Enter key.
Solution 2: Avoid overwriting an existing file while you restore the backup
- When you are on the window that asks you where you want to save your file, browse to your standard location for saving your file.
- If the name is the same as another file saved in this folder, you will receive a message: “The file name exists. Would you like to overwrite this file?” When it asks, click No.
- Lastly, you must change your file’s name from the existing file.
Also Read: Why Must You Update Intuit Data Protect to the latest version.
Solution 3: Ensure to copy the backup from flash or network drive before restoring it
It’s way simpler and easier to restore a backup to and from your local computer when compared to using a flash drive or network drive. However, before you restore the company data, we suggest you copy your backup to your desktop to ensure the safety of the file.
Read Also: How To Backup QuickBooks To Flash Drive | Transfer Data To Thumb Drive.
Solution 4: Copy a backup file to a new folder before you restore it
Whenever you copy a backup to a new folder, it keeps you sure that your data won’t be in the folder that may be damaged. Using Windows Explorer, you can copy and paste the file into a folder in a different location.
Solution 5: Use the same or newer QuickBooks version while restoring backup
It’s possible for you to restore a backup to a newer version of the QuickBooks Desktop application, but not to an older one. The reason can be changed in the structure of your company file while upgrading from one version to another.
- You may restore a backup from QuickBooks Desktop 2018 in QuickBooks Desktop 2019.
- Don’t restore a backup from QuickBooks Desktop 2019 in QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
Solution 6: Repair your damaged company file
Like any other file in Windows, your company file can also be damaged. In such a case, you can utilize the Rebuild Data tool built-in to QuickBooks Desktop to resolve data damage on your company file.
- Firstly, go to the File menu and click on Utilities. From there, you need to select the Rebuild Data option.
- Now, click on OK on the QuickBooks Information window.
- Further, save the file backup by following the instructions that appear on your screen.
- Let the tool repair your file. However, you need to know that it may take some time depending on your file size. You might find that QuickBooks has got stuck, but as long as you are able to move your mouse, the tool is working.
- When the tool finishes the repair process, click OK.
- Again, navigate to the File menu and click on Utilities. Then, select the Verify Data option.
- Lastly, let the tool check your file for data issues.
- If QuickBooks doesn’t find any problems with your company file, click OK. You can continue using your company file as it doesn’t have any data damage. However, if the issue persists, select Rebuild Now.
Note: If you’re still having data issues after rebuilding your company file, try to do it once again. If the first rebuild took 2+ hours, then you must contact our customer support.
Read also: Fix QuickBooks Error 6155 0- Unable To Open Company File
Solution 7: Restore a different copy of your backup file.
When you try to restore your company file, QuickBooks uses the backup company file (.qbb) for creating a new company file (.qbw).
Important: Before proceeding with the steps below to fix the QuickBooks backup failed issue, make sure to move your company file to your local hard drive. If you have saved your backup company file on an external device like a USB or a hosting service like Box, you’ll need to first.
Further, you may proceed with the below-mentioned steps:
- Open the QuickBooks application and go to the File menu. From there, click on the Open or Restore Company option.
- Now, select the Restore a backup copy option and click Next.
- After that, select Local Backup and then Next.
- Further, you have to browse your computer for your backup company file. It would appear to you like this: [Your company name].qbb.
- Make sure to select a folder where you wish to save your restored company file. And then click on Open.
Note: You must know that if you open the backup in the same folder as your existing company file, you may end up overwriting your data.
In order to avoid overwriting anything, you can try to rename your existing company file or the backup, so the names are unique. Alternatively, you can try to save the backup in a completely separate folder.
When ready with your backup company file, click on Save. If you come across any message that says about the possibility of overwriting your data, choose the option that best fits your needs. Make sure you don’t overwrite anything unless you know you want to.
Solution 8: Change the Properties of your backup file
- If you come across an error that says the company file that you tried to access is a Read-only file while restoring the backup, then right-click the file and select Properties.
- Make sure to unmark the Read-only checkbox from the bottom of the Properties window.
- At last, click Apply followed by OK.
Need Help To Fix QuickBooks Restore Failed Invalid Format!
We have tried to mention all possible troubleshooting methods to help you fix QuickBooks restore failed issues without hassle. However, if you get stuck with the error message: “Your backup has not been restored” and need further assistance, we suggest you call us on Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number +1-(855)-738-0359. Our experts round the clock to assist you with the handiest resolution methods related to QuickBooks backup and restore services.