QuickBooks Error 15420 is a part of the 1500 error series in QB, which is associated with updating QBD and downloading payroll updates. Updating your QB application is crucial from the safety perspective as it brings in new security patches. Payroll updates are equally important in order to calculate tax as per the latest guidelines. There are three different error messages associated with this, and the user may run into either of them:-
- Error 15240: The payroll update did not complete successfully.
- File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program.
- Internet connection error: unknown error
Looking for solutions to fix QuickBooks Desktop Error 15420? Just give a call to an expert at +1(855)-738-0359, and they will guide you on how to fix it.
Reasons for QuickBooks Update Error 15420
The most common reasons for QuickBooks update error 15420 include problems with firewall settings, Internet Explorer settings, or system date and time settings. Let’s look at the complete list of reasons for this error:-
- The Windows user account that is being used does not have adequate administrator rights.
- Your system has the wrong date or timings.
- The Internet Explorer settings are not favorable for QuickBooks.
- A third-party firewall is blocking the internet connection for QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks installation folder does not have Windows permissions.
Troubleshooting for QuickBooks Error 15420
There are 5 different solutions that can help users fix QuickBooks Error 15420. It includes running QB as administrator, verifying date and time on the system, adding Windows permissions, changing Internet Explorer settings and checking third-party settings. Let’s look at these solutions in detail:-
Solution 1- Running QuickBooks as Administrator
Running QuickBooks as administrator grants certain extra rights and permissions to the application. These are the steps you need to follow:-
- Press the Windows Start button and go to the search bar.
- Search QuickBooks Desktop and then right-click on the QuickBooks icon.
- Select Run as Administrator from the list of options.
You May Also Like To Read – Fix QuickBooks Error 12152 | Causes & Troubleshooting Methods
Solution 2- Verify the System Date and Time Settings
Incorrect system date and time settings are a reason for QuickBooks error 15420. Follow these steps to change date and time settings on your system:-
- Press the Windows Start button.
- Click on Settings and choose Time & language.
- Click on the Date and Time.
- Now set the correct date and time.
- Finally, click on OK.
Solution 3- Adding Windows permission To QuickBooks Installation Folders
You need to make sure that certain QuickBooks-related folders have windows permission. These are the steps you need to follow:-
- Close QuickBooks application.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\ and for C:\Program Files(x86).
- Find the Intuit folder and right-click on it, then select Properties.
- Go to the Security menu and click on Advanced.
- Ensure that the user group is the owner of the folder. Follow these steps to take ownership of the Intuit folder:-
- Go to the Advanced Security Settings window and click on Change beside the Owner name.
- Go to Enter the object name to select section and type in Users. Then tap on Check Names.
- Click on OK and tickmark Replace owner on sub containers and objects.
- Click on Apply and press OK.
- Go to the Permission window and select User.
- Then choose Full Control and tap on Apply. Then press OK.
- Now try to download updates and if QuickBooks error 15420 still appear on the screen, follow the steps 1-5 again for these folders too:-
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit
- (64-bit users) C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit
- C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Intuit
Read more :- QuickBooks Conversion Tool – Download & Setup
Solution 4- Change Your Internet Explorer Settings
Unfavourable Internet Explorer settings are the reason for error code 15420 in QuickBooks Desktop. Follow these steps in order to make it favourable: –
- Run Internet Explorer application.
- Tap on the Gear icon and select Internet Options.
- Go to the Advanced menu and go to the Security section.
- Mark Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0.
- Tap on Apply and press OK.
Solution 5- Verify Your Third-party Firewall
Firewall control internet flow for the applications. The presence of a third-party firewall can control the flow of the internet for QB and lead to QuickBooks error 15420. These are three things you need to take into consideration:-
- Contact your third-party firewall provider and ask them how to adjust the settings and to make it favorable for Quickbooks to download and install updates.
- Make sure the following files are given access to go through your firewall.
- Qbw32.exe (QuickBooks Executable file)
- Qbupdate.exe (QuickBooks update executable file)
- Make sure ports 80 and 443 are not disabled.
So these solutions can help you fix QuickBooks Error Code 15420 and allow you to download updates for payroll and application. Ensure that you have a strong internet connection to complete the download process. If your error is still not resolved, contact an expert at +1(855)-738-0359 and they will guide you on how to fix it.
Related Helpful Articles:
Know What is QuickBooks Error H202, and How do you fix it
How to Fix QuickBooks Search Not Working Issue in Desktop
Use QuickBooks Condense Data Utility Tool – Log Greyed Out