QuickBooks requires certain components to install the latest updates without any error. Windows installer is one such component that, when it gets damaged, results in QuickBooks error code 15106. It restricts the user from installing QuickBooks or payroll updates. It majorly affects the update process and gives an error message while updating QuickBooks Desktop:
“Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened.”
“Error 15106: The update program is damaged.”
However, to keep your process up and running, it’s essential to download all the latest updates. For that, you need to fix QuickBooks Error Code 15106. But before that, you must get well-versed with all the possible reasons that trigger error 15106 in QuickBooks.
Why do I keep getting QuickBooks update error 15106? To resolve all such queries, get in touch with our experts by placing a call on Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number
What Are The Causes Behind QuickBooks Error 15106?
As said, several reasons evoke the QuickBooks Error Code 15106 while updating payroll or installing QuickBooks updates, such as the QuickBooks installer file damaged. Below we have listed the other possible causes as well:
- The update process is hampered by third-party antivirus or anti-malware programs.
- QB Error 15106 occurs if you’re not logged in as an administrator on the computer.
- The Windows User Account Control settings are set to high, interfering with the QuickBooks update process.
- You might have installed the WebRoot antivirus application on your system. It helps to detect QuickBooks installer as a potential threat and blocks all its operation on Windows.
- QuickBooks installation is unable to install the additional components that you need to update the application and payroll.
After getting a brief idea of what QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106 is and how it occurs, you must proceed to the troubleshooting steps.
Troubleshooting Steps To Resolve QuickBooks Update Error Code 15106
Follow the resolution steps mentioned below to fix error 15106 QuickBooks desktop. It will assist you in updating QuickBooks Desktop without any issues.
Note: If you don’t want to risk your payroll data and have an active QuickBooks Desktop payroll subscription, we would suggest you download the latest tax table after every resolution step you perform.
Step 1: Log in to your system as an administrator
- Click on the Windows icon and select Control Panel. Then, press the Enter key.
- After that, select the User Accounts and Family Safety option followed by User Accounts.
- Now, click on the manage another account option and enter the admin password whenever asked.
- The account type will be displayed right below the account of your account. However, if you already have an administrator account, then you can proceed to the next step. Else take the assistance of your IT administrator to assign administrative rights to you.
Note: You can skip the next troubleshooting step and go straightaway to the third one to resolve QuickBooks Error Code 15106 if you haven’t installed an antivirus on your system.
Step 2: Disable your antivirus application and rename the folder
It might be possible that the anti-virus software installed would have marked the download folder where you save all your QB updates as suspicious, and thus, you won’t be able to access it any longer. Therefore, to eliminate QuickBooks Error Code 15106, you have to disable your antivirus application and rename the download folder by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys simultaneously to open the Task Manager.
- Navigate to the Processes tab and search for [ANTIVIRUS].exe. For Example, Spy Sweeper.exe.
Note: If you get an error while performing the above, you have to uninstall the antivirus application. Then, select End Process.
- After that, you have to rename the QuickBooks update folder by following the below steps:
- Simultaneously press Windows +E keys on your keyboard to open the File Explorer.
- Then, follow the path: C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components
- However, if you are a 64-bit user, then follow this path: C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components
- Right-click on the downloadqbXX folder and select the Rename option.
(Note: Here, XX stands for the year version of your QuickBooks application. For Example, downloadqb18 for QuickBooks Desktop 2018.)
- Now, you have to add .old to the end of the name. For Example, downloadqbxx.old.
- At last, you have to update QuickBooks Desktop as per the latest available version.
If the above steps haven’t helped you rectify QuickBooks Error Code 15106 by now, then jump to the next one.
Step 3: Turn off User Account Control (UAC)
It is possible that while running behind the system, the UAC is declining the download of the QuickBooks updates. To be on the safer side, it is better to turn it off before downloading the updates.
- If you are a Windows 10 user, then search UAC from Cortana search.
- However, if you are on some other Windows operating system (Windows 7 and 8), click on the Windows icon and select Control Panel.
- Now search for User Account Control and click on User Account Control Settings.
- Further, move the Slider window to Never Notify and click on OK to save the changes.
Important: To keep your business data and your workstation safe, you’re advised to turn on UAC back after downloading the updates by turning the slider to Always Notify.
Step 4: Try to Clean Install QuickBooks in Selective Startup Mode
The QuickBooks or Payroll update process might be interfered with due to a third-party application running in the background of your system. The update process is also hindered due to damage in one of the QuickBooks program files. To resolve both these issues, you have to clean install the QuickBooks Desktop using QuickBooks clean install tool in the Selective Startup mode by following the below-given steps.
Important: Before you begin to imply the below-mentioned troubleshooting steps to fix QuickBooks Error Code 15106, make sure to create a backup copy of your business data. Also, note down the product and license info of your QuickBooks application.
- Press the Windows + R key simultaneously to open the Run window.
- There you have to type Msconfig and press the Enter key. It will open the System Configuration window.
- Now, go to the General tab and click on Selective Startup and Load System services.
- Go to the Services tab and click on the box against Hide all Microsoft Services.
- After that, click on the Disable All option.
- Now, unmark the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Besides, make sure to mark the Windows Installer checkbox.
- Further, click on OK and select the Restart option on the window.
- Now, you have to perform a clean installation of the QuickBooks Desktop application when the system opens.
- Once the clean installation completes, you have to perform the first three steps once again. After that, click on Normal Startup.
- Lastly, click on OK, followed by the Restart option.
Need Assistance To Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 15106
We have provided all the possible troubleshooting solutions to resolve QuickBooks error code 15106. However, if you get stuck or find any of the above-listed solutions a bit technical, we would suggest you take our expert’s assistance. You can place a call on Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number at +1(855)-738-0359 and our support team will assist you immediately.
QuickBooks Update Error Code 15106 FAQ’s
It can be because you are not logged in as an administrator on the computer.
However, there are several methods available. You can try to clean install QuickBooks in selective startup mode.
You might have installed the WebRoot antivirus application on your system.
No, you just need to find out the correct troubleshooting methods. For further assistance, you can get in touch with our experts.