Encountering an abrupt closure of the QuickBooks application while working on an important project can be extremely frustrating. If your QuickBooks has stopped working with an error message that reads,
"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, or Windows is checking for a solution to the problem" This article will be of great help to you"
This issue may reappear when attempting to reopen the QuickBooks application, and in some cases, it can also lead to a completely frozen Windows OS. Therefore, to address this problem, it is essential to understand its causes, symptoms, and troubleshooting methods suggested by the experts. Next, in this article, we will go through the details you must know about the issue and provide you with effective solutions for the issue that made you search for QuickBooks has stopped working
If your QuickBooks is not responding while opening a company file and you do not know what to do, then just place a call at our helpline number (855)-738-0359 and get connected with our experts. Our experts will help you fix the issue effortlessly without risking your data.
Why Does QuickBooks Freeze While Opening The Company File?
Before taking any action to troubleshoot the issues due to which your QuickBooks has stopped working, it is a must to know the reasons that might be triggering this issue on your system. So, here is a list of possible reasons why QuickBooks won’t open:
- The name of your company name might be too long.
- The QBWUSER.INI file that you used to save initialization information might be damaged or missing.
- Your hard drive might be corrupt.
- You might have damaged QuickBooks Desktop installation or missing program files.
- You might be using a damaged Windows operating system.
- Incorrect installation of QuickBooks on Windows.
- There are some damaged or corrupt sectors on your system’s hard disk.
How To Identify Why QuickBooks Stops Working?
This issue can affect the overall performance of your system. Therefore, you need to be aware of the signs that might show up long before your QuickBooks completely stops responding and starts affecting the overall system’s performance. Here is a list that you can go through to know the signs of this issue.
- QuickBooks Desktop may freeze and become non-responsive right after you open it.
- The mouse pointer and keyboard start performing sluggishly on the QuickBooks window.
- QuickBooks closes abruptly when you open the company file without popping any error message or warning.
- QuickBooks stops even before loading the dashboard and displays one of the related error messages.
- Windows applications start responding slowly and experience freezing issues.
Essential Points You Must Consider If QuickBooks not Responding:
Below we have mentioned all the important factors that you must know what to do if QuickBooks is not responding. You must consider the given information before implementing the troubleshooting methods:
- You must install the latest available updates of the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- The name of your company file must be less than 35 characters, including spaces.
- Before you run QB, you must turn off the antivirus protection on your computer. If your issue gets resolved, then you need to exclude QuickBooks from your antivirus scan list.
- Always log in with an account that has administrative rights on Windows.
- Try to Reinstall QuickBooks using the Clean Install Tool.
If the problem QuickBooks is not responding when opening a company file persists, and you can still not open QuickBooks, then follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below.
How To Troubleshoot QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Error?
Follow the troubleshooting methods mentioned below to eliminate the application freezes while attempting to open the company file issue:
Solution 1: Run Quick Fix My Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks Tool Hub will help fix common errors that you come across while using QB. Further, QuickFix will shut down any open background processes that QB uses. Then, it will run a repair on your program. Follow Method 1 of the article QuickBooks error 6123 for detailed steps.
Solution 2: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool from the Tool Hub
The QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool diagnoses and fixes the issues related to Microsoft components on its own. For a detailed procedure, you must follow solution 1 of the article QuickBooks error 1904.
Solution 3: Scan and Repair Bad Sectors on Hard-Disk
- Simultaneously press the Windows + E keys on your keyboard to open the Windows File Manager and right-click on the C drive.
- Then, select Properties and click on Check Now under the Tools menu.
- After that, checkmark the box Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors respectively.
- Right after that, click on Start and wait until Windows completes the scan and repair process.
Solution 4: Reboot your PC and Temporarily Disable your Anti-virus Software
- First, you need to reboot your computer system.
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop right after the reboot.
- If the issue persists, you must temporarily disable your antivirus.
Note: If the issue occurs even after that, then try disabling your antivirus software temporarily.
Solution 5: Rename the QBWUSER.ini file
If you have a damaged or missing QBWUSER.ini file, then you must try renaming it to resolve the error. For that, you may follow solution 3 of the article QuickBooks running slow.
Solution 6: Reinstall Windows Operating System
You need to make sure that you make a backup of your company file before reinstalling Windows to get rid of the QuickBooks not responding error. Reinstallation would altogether remove QuickBooks and Company file data from the computer. Further, you must ask your local IT administrator to install fresh Windows on the computer. You may also take the assistance of our experts for the same.
Solution 7: Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks Desktop on Windows
If none of the troubleshooting solutions worked for you, then you must try reinstalling the QuickBooks Desktop. For that, you must follow the below-mentioned steps to perform a clean installation of QuickBooks:
- Open the Run Window by simultaneously pressing the Windows + R key.
- Enter the Control Panel in the search bar of the Run Window.
- Now, search for QuickBooks under the Programs and Features list and click Uninstall/Change.
- To complete the uninstallation process, you must follow the on-screen instructions.
- You may download the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool from Here.
- After that, open the QB Clean Install Tool and click on I Accept on the license agreement page.
- Now, you may follow the instructions that display on your screen to perform a clean installation of QuickBooks on your Desktop.
Solution 8: Create a New Admin User
You must try to create a new admin user account in Windows. After that, you must open your company file using the new user admin account.
Solution 9: Open the Company File from a Different Folder
- Open the computer window by pressing the Windows + E Key on your keyboard simultaneously.
- Now, search for the data that has a .qbw file extension.
- After that, browse the network drive on which you have saved your company file to search the file located on a network server.
- Right-click and select the copy option after finding the company file.
- Then, go to your C: Drive> make a new folder> name it QBTEST.
- Open the new QBTEST folder and paste your company file here.
- Afterward, open QuickBooks and hold the CTRL key simultaneously.
- From the C:\QBTEST folder, select the option “Restore An Existing Company”.
- At last, open the company file that you copied in the QBTEST folder.
Grab QuickBooks Expert’s Assistance to Fix the Issue
We hope the troubleshooting methods mentioned in this blog have helped you resolve the issue QuickBooks has stopped working in no time. If none of these worked for you due to any reason, then we suggest you give us a call on our Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number. Our experts are available round the clock for your assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What to do if my QuickBooks has stopped working after a recent update?
Ans: If QuickBooks is not opening after you’ve installed a recent update, then there might be some issue with the installation of the update or its compatibility with Windows. So, make sure that your system meets the basic requirements for the new version of QuickBooks. Then, try to reset and reinstall the latest update.
2. How can I recover lost data after encountering the QB has stopped working error?
Ans: You can use the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool to restore the backup of the QuickBooks files if your QB has stopped working.