QuickBooks is a very useful software that has been assisting businesses in various functions. One of those functions is calculating and releasing Payroll as required. The application allows you to pay employees by cheque, direct deposit or even e-payment. QuickBooks is also able to fill in payroll tax papers for your company. All these tasks can come to a halt due to QuickBooks Error PS077. You generally face these issues while trying to download payroll updates. If you are among those who have encountered QuickBooks Error message PS077, we are here to guide you and help you out with all possible solutions.
What Exactly is QuickBooks Error PS077?
As discussed earlier, QuickBooks Error PS077 is a payroll-related issue that can disrupt payroll processing and financial operations. It signifies an issue with downloading or installing the tax table updates, which are crucial for accurate payroll calculations. Every time you encounter this error, you get an error message popping up on the screen saying,
QuickBooks: Problem With Installing Payroll Tax Table Update
Error Ps077 When Downloading Payroll Updates
A user has not registered QuickBooks software, or the Company File is damaged or corrupted.
Along with the error message, it also gives a solution to fix the problem. However, we will discuss the solutions in detail later. First, let us check the reasons that might evoke the error code PS077 in QuickBooks.
Why Does QuickBooks Payroll Error PS077 Occur?
Multiple factors can contribute to QuickBooks Payroll Error PS077. Some of these are technical glitches, while others may result from user errors. Let us look at the possible causes:
- The Tax Table in the Components/Payroll folder is either invalid or corrupted.
- Your QuickBooks Company file is damaged.
- Your billing info is either incorrect or obsolete.
- You haven’t registered your QuickBooks software.
- There was an error during installation.
- A file in the CPS folder saved on your system has been damaged.
- Firewall settings on the system are blocking payroll updates from being downloaded and installed in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Having incorrect internet connection settings can also lead to this error.
Steps To Consider Before Troubleshooting Payroll Error PS077
There are certain things that you should take into account before you jump onto troubleshooting steps in order to make them easy. They are as follows-
- Verify that your QuickBooks Payroll subscription is active.
- Update your QB application.
- Check your billing information and see if it is correctly entered.
- Check that your system has just one application.
- Take a backup of your company file.
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub from a credible source and install it.
What Are The Troubleshooting Steps To Fix QuickBooks Payroll Error PS077?
Multiple reasons can trigger this error; thus, it is difficult to give you a single solution that works. If you are unaware of the exact cause, you should try different solutions to fix error PS077. So, let us look at the possible solutions you can try to fix it.
A few of these solutions are a bit technical and may be difficult for you to follow. If you face any difficulty while troubleshooting the QuickBooks error code PS077, then you can contact our experts at +1 855-738-0359.
Here are the Solutions-
Solution 1: Check the Payroll Service Subscription
- Close all the company files that were opened and restart the system.
- Then, open the QuickBooks application and go to the Employees section.
- Select the My Payroll Service option and click Manage Service Key.
- Now, check the Service Name and Status. The name should be correct, and the status must show Active.
- After this, select Edit and verify the service key. If it is incorrect, enter the correct service key.
- Then, hit Next, uncheck the Open Payroll Setup box, and afterward, hit the Finish button.
- This will now download the entire payroll update. If you still encounter the error, proceed to the next step.
Solution 2: Register and Update the QuickBooks Desktop
It is important to register and update the QuickBooks Desktop application to get the latest security updates and software improvements. Here’s how you can check whether the QuickBooks Desktop is registered and update it later.
- Press the F2 key on the keyboard and open the Product Information window.
- Then, check the Registration status beside the License number and see if it says Activated.
- If it does not say Activated, you need to register your QuickBooks Desktop.
- To activate QuickBooks, go to the Help menu.
- Then, select the Activate QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Follow the prompts given on the screen to verify your info.
- Now, after you have registered the QB Desktop application, you need to update it to the latest release.
- Follow the steps below to download the latest payroll tax table update and see if the error PS077 got rectified.
Steps To Download the Latest Payroll Tax Table
After downloading the QuickBooks Desktop application updates, you need to download the latest tax table updates to check if this solution rectifies the issue. Follow the below-given steps in order to do so:
- Tap on the Employees menu at the top and choose Get Payroll Updates.
- Checkmark the Download Entire Update checkbox and tap on Update.
- A window will open after the download is complete.
Solution 3- Run Quick Fix My Program From QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks file doctor is useful in repairing damage to the company files. Follow these steps –
- Close all the company files and QuickBooks Desktop.
- Download and install the most recent version of QuickBooks Tool Hub. Save the file somewhere you can find afterward (like in your Download folder or on the Windows desktop).
- Run the download file to initiate the installation and then follow the on-screen instructions to install it and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Once finished, double-click on its icon and open it.
- Now, in the QuickBooks Tools Hub, select the Programs Problems tab.
- Then, click the Quick Fix My Program option.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop application and the data file.
- Lastly, download the latest tax table updates and check if the error PS077 got resolved.
Solution 4 – Repair your QBD Application
It is easy to resolve any faults or errors that arise as a result of the program. You’ll need to prepare the QBDT installation CD before you start the repair process, and once that is done, follow these steps to fix the PS077 error in QuickBooks Desktop-
- Restart your computer and close any other application interfering with QuickBooks.
- Tap on the Start menu and then click on the Control panel.
- Choose Programs and Features,
- And if required, click on Uninstall a program.
- Choose Uninstall/Change from the list of programs to remove or change QuickBooks.
- Now choose Continue and then tap on Next.
- Click on Repair and then choose Next. Please wait while the repair process is over.
- Restart your system.
Solution 5- Run QuickBooks File Doctor to Fix Data Damage
QuickBooks file doctor is useful in repairing damage to the company files. Follow these steps –
- Click on Company File Issues from the QB tool hub.
- Choose Run QuickBooks File Doctor from the drop-down menu. The file doctor can take up to one minute to open.
NOTE– In case QuickBooks File Doctor fails to open up, you would need to search for QuickBooks Desktop File Doc and manually open it.
- Select your company file from the drop-down option in QuickBooks File Doctor. If you don’t see your file, choose Browse and search to locate it.
- Select Check your file and press continue.
- Enter your QuickBooks admin password and then select Next
The length of time it takes to scan your files is determined by the size of your company. It can take up to 5 minutes in most circumstances. Open QuickBooks and your company file after the scan is complete. Even if the scan resolves your problem, it may report that it failed, so you need to check for the error manually.
Solution 6- Perform Clean Install of QuickBooks
The clean install tool is available in the QB tool hub. You are required to first uninstall QuickBooks from your system and then run this program. Follow these steps in order to do so:-
- Select Installation issues from QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- Select Clean Install Tool and then choose OK.
- Choose the QuickBooks version and product version that you want to use. Then press the Continue button.
- A message will pop up saying, “Please install your copy of QuickBooks to the default location.” Press OK.
You’re ready to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop after the Clean Install Tool completes. This will ensure that the next time you install the application, no error is caused.
Read Also: If Can’t Activate Direct Deposit due to QuickBooks error code 40001, Follow the instruction for updating QuickBooks & running it as an administrator.
Solution 7- Make changes to User Account Control Settings
Many times, QuickBooks is unable to download payroll updates because the security settings are too high. Try turning off User Account Control settings, and that might fix the error:-
User Account Control SettingsUser Account Control Settings
- Press Windows+R simultaneously, it will open the Run window.
- Type Control Panel and then press OK.
- Choose User Accounts and then select User Accounts (Classic View).
- Tap on Change user account control settings.
NOTE– If you are prompted by UAC, press Yes to continue.
- Now you need to shift the slider:-
- Set it to Never Notify and then press on OK to turn UAC OFF.
- Set to Always Notify and then press on OK to turn UAC ON.
NOTE- If you are prompted by UAC, press Yes to continue.
- Now restart your computer.
So this has been all about payroll update error PS077. We discussed all the factors leading to it and different ways to fix this. We hope that this article has helped you understand what you need to do whenever you face this error. QuickBooks offer many other services apart from Payroll and can help out small as well as big businesses. If your error is still not resolved and you are looking for assistance, contact our expert at Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number +1 855-738-0359. They will guide you on what shall be done to resolve it.