To enable QuickBooks to set up a multi-user environment, where multiple computers can be connected to the server in the network, it requires a properly configured network. Through this, multiple users can access the same company file stored on the server. There might be instances where you wouldn’t be able to access the company file and, thus, would end up with QuickBooks Abort error or a connection to your company file has been lost. When it takes place, the following error message appears on your screen:
“The connection to the company files has been lost. QuickBooks must close immediately. Any unsaved data will need to be re-entered”
If you are wondering about the reasons, well, there are many. We have listed some of the major ones in the next section of this blog.
You might end up with QuickBooks Abort Error on multiple computers due to certain reasons. To resolve it at the earliest, you can try reaching us by giving us a call on our Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number at +1(855)-738-0359.
What Are The Causes Behind the QuickBooks Abort Problem?
There are several possible reasons why you’re getting the QuickBooks abort error. Among these are:
- You might be having unstable connection error i.e., Non-wired connection that results in QuickBooks abort problem.
- The folder where you have saved the file needs additional permission.
- A firewall restricts you from getting access to the network.
- You must have turned on the power-saving mode.
Troubleshooting Methods To Fix QuickBooks Abort Error
Follow the troubleshooting solutions listed ahead in this blog to resolve QuickBooks aborting application issue:
Method 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop
You can resolve the behavior in the program due to the occurrence of QuickBooks abort error by updating QuickBooks Desktop to its latest release. To do so, proceed with the below-given steps:
- Go to the Downloads & Updates page by clicking here and choose your QuickBooks product from the Select Product drop-down.
- In the Select version drop-down, select the appropriate version or year and click on Search.
- Then, click on Get the latest updates and then Save/Save File to download the update.
- Once the download completes, double-click to install the update.
Also Read: Update Quickbooks Desktop to Latest Version 2021 – Explained
Method 2: Install and run the QuickBooks File Doctor
If you couldn’t fix QuickBooks abort error, try to install and run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool. To do so, follow the below-given steps:
- Download the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Open the tool by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
- Then, look for the results.
If the message No problem detected in your Company File appears on your screen, it means that your company file is OK. However, if the QuickBooks aborting application error persists even after that, then, verify your company data file and rebuild it if necessary.
Method 3: Repair your company file using the Rebuild Data tool
The Rebuild Data tool is built-in to QuickBooks Desktop and fixes minor company file data issues like QuickBooks Keep aborting. To run it, you must follow the below-given steps:
Steps to rebuild data:
- Go to the File menu and select Utilities option followed by Rebuild Data.
- Then, click OK on the QuickBooks Information window. Further, you may follow the instructions that appear on your screen to save a backup.
- Let the tool repair the damaged file. Well, it may take some time.
- Once the tool completes the repair process, select OK.
Also Read: How To Resolve QuickBooks Rebuild Error 213- Duplicate Name Error.
Steps to verify data:
- Go to the File menu. Hover over Utilities and select Verify Data.
- Let the tool check your company file to detect data issues.
- If QuickBooks is unable to find any problem, select OK. Therefore, you can continue using your company file as it doesn’t have any data damage.
Note: If QuickBooks still finds an issue with your company file, select Rebuild Now. However, if the data issue persists even after rebuilding your company file, try again. If in case, the rebuild takes more than 2 hours, then you must reach out to our support team to fix the QuickBooks abort error.
What else you may do to repair your damaged company data:
- You may try to restore a recently backed-up company file. If your computer crashes or you need to undo recent changes, use a backup company file to restore your accounting data. As your backup file contains your company data up to the date the backup was made.
Also Read: Resolve Unable To Create Accountant’s Copy In QuickBooks Desktop Error.
- Or, if that doesn’t work, you can try to recover lost data with QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery. It keeps a backup of all the company data, and thus, whenever lost, you can recover it easily. The tool uses the current transaction log file and a copy of the company file to restore the lost transaction. Moreover, it will restore all your transactions except the ones that were done at the last moment.
Method 4: Restart the Server and the Workstation
- Make sure that no other user is connected in the network.
- Once ensured, restart the server machine.
- Now, you may restart the workstation and try using QuickBooks again.
Method 5: Turn off the Power Saver on the Server
- On the server machine, click on the Windows icon and go to the Control Panel.
- Search Power Options from the search bar at the top and select the same.
- Now, go to the settings and disable Hibernation, Standby and Sleep Mode.
If you are still getting the QuickBooks abort error, then you must proceed with the next troubleshooting method.
Method 6: Verify Hosting Options on the Server and Workstation
- First, open the QuickBooks application on the Server computer.
- Go to the File menu and click on Utilities.
- Make sure to turn on the hosting, if it isn’t then turn it on when you see Host Multi-User Access option.
- Now open the QuickBooks application, go to the File menu and select Utilities.
- Select if Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option appears, and disable hosting multi-user access.
- Once the Host Multi-User Access option appears, try to open the company file.
Method 7: Locate QuickBooks Desktop Company File
Sometimes, QuickBooks fails to find the company file, and it results in a QuickBooks abort error. Thus, you need to locate the company file by following the below-given steps:
- By using the Windows search feature, try to search for your file type.
- Click on the Windows icon and type the extension of the file, followed by an Asterisk sign (*) in the Search Programs and Files search box.
- Search *.qby for Accountants Change file type
- For Accountant’s Copy file type *.qba
- To search for the Backup files enter *.qbb
- For Accountants Transfer files type *.qba
- Type *.qbw to search for QuickBooks company file
- Right-click when you find the desired file and select Open File Location.
- Lastly, try to open the file from the correct location to remove the QuickBooks abort error message.
Method 8: Set Permissions to Access the QuickBooks Installation Folder
- Open Windows File Explorer and go to C: \ Program Files \ Common Files.
- Right-click the folder named Common Files and select Properties> Security> Edit.
- Now, under Group or Usernames click Users.
- Under the Permission for users tab, allow Modify, List Folder Contents, Write, Read, and Read and Execute options.
- At last, click on Apply, followed by OK.
Lets Experts Help You Fix QuickBooks Company File Abort Error!
We hope the troubleshooting methods mentioned in this blog would have helped you resolve the QuickBooks Abort error without much trouble. However, if you’re still stuck with the ‘why does QuickBooks keep aborting’ issue even now, then we would suggest you contact our experts by giving us a call at Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number at +1(855)-738-0359 and getting immediate assistance.
Related Search Terms
QuickBooks aborting application in multi-user mode, QuickBooks Connection has been Lost Abort Error, Why am I Getting Abort Error in QuickBooks, QuickBooks Aborts while Opening Company File, QuickBooks Problem Connection has been Lost.