Being a business owner or an accountant, you might have faced certain instances where QuickBooks Company file not found issues appear. One shouldn’t panic in such a situation as it is widespread. QuickBooks company file is missing issue may happen due to several reasons. One such reason is that you are not using the latest version of QuickBooks. Moreover, more troubling problems like data corruption may also lead to the same. Whenever you’ll encounter QuickBooks Company File is Not Found Error, you’ll receive a warning message as follow:-
Warning: The company file you selected could not be found. You can try one of the following:
Choose the ‘Open or Restore Company…’ command from the ‘File’ menu to look for this file in a different directory.
(or) Use the ‘Search’ tool from the Windows ‘Start Menu’ to search for this file in your computer.
If you’re facing ‘QuickBooks the company file could not be found’ error message? Contact our expert team & understand how to fix data missing issue after update file instantly by dialing our Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number
What Leads To The Error “QuickBooks Unable To Open Company File”?
Do not panic whenever your QuickBooks company file extension is missing or not opening; This is normal; whenever a data file is renamed or moved from its location, you might see these issues; Also, possibly if your workstation gets disconnected from the path of your file location. Moreover, if the file gets deleted, you will be unable to access it. So, glance over the reason below before proceeding with any troubleshooting step. It will be helpful in resolving the error faster if cannot open company file in QuickBooks desktop:
- There might be some issue with the file extension and file location.
- Conflict in the *QBW.TLG file.
- One might be using an incorrect version of QuickBooks to open files.
- One must have applied the wrong method to open particular file types.
- Network connectivity issues when using QuickBooks in Multi-user mode.
Some Common Error When QuickBooks Cannot Open Company File
Below, we have noted a few lists of common errors that you might see when QuickBooks can’t open company files.
- QuickBooks Error 6000 77.
- QuickBooks Error 6129.
- QuickBooks Error 6147.
- QuickBooks Error 6144 82.
- QuickBooks Error 6190 816.
- QuickBooks Error 6210.
- QuickBooks Error 6000 80.
- QuickBooks Error 6000 83
- QuickBooks Error 6094 0.
Precautionary Measures Before Troubleshooting QuickBooks Can’t Find Company file
- Before you begin resolving QuickBooks company file is missing or cannot be found when opening a company file, make sure that the issue is with the company file and not with the program itself.
- It is important for the user to have an updated version of QuickBooks accounting software.
- You must verify that the QuickBooks desktop program that you are using is not corrupted.
- Along with that, ensure that only one computer hosts your company file.
How To Fix Error: QuickBooks Company File Not Found?
You might come across two conditions depending on which your troubleshooting method will vary. Below, we will discuss both the situations one by one to eliminate QuickBooks won’t open company file issue:
Condition 1: If somehow, the User is Accessing the QuickBooks file over the Network
If your company file is missing or cannot be found in QuickBooks desktop, then, in that case, you need to follow the below-given steps:
Solution 1: Check for the Network Connectivity
- To begin, first, you have to identify the name of server system.
- For that, press Windows + R keys together on your keyboard. It will open the Run dialog box on your screen.
- In that run, you need to type in CMD and then press the Enter key in order to open the command prompt window.
- After that, type ipconfig/all and then press the Enter key.
- Once down, make sure that you keep a note of the server names.
- Moving ahead, type Ping followed by the name of your server in the next Window.
- Once done, hit the Enter key.
- Being a user, you must see a reply for each packet.
- If you have any packet loss, in this case, it signifies some issues with your network connection. Therefore, to get rid of QuickBooks is unable to open this company file issue, you must utilize the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
Solution 2: Search for the QuickBooks Company File
If you are trying to access your file through a network, then you must follow the below steps on the server that stores your company file. Even if you have stored your file on a local computer, you can also perform the same computer steps.
- In the first place, you have to use the Windows feature to glance at your file type.
- After that, click on the Windows Start button and then enter the extension of the company file along with an Asterisk sign in the Search Programs and the Files search box:
- *.qbw (Working Files)
- *.qbb (Back-Up Files)
- *.qba (Accountants Copy Files)
- *.qbx (Accountant Transfer Files)
- *.qby (Accountants Changes Files)
- 3: Once you have found the required file, right-click on it and click on the option Open File Location.
- 4: Lastly, to eliminate the error message company file not found in QuickBooks desktop, you must open the file from the right location.
Solution 3: Choose the correct way for opening the file in QuickBooks
No matter which version of QuickBooks you are using, you must always try to open the file in the right way. For doing that, you need to follow the steps that we have mentioned below:
Step 1: Open a Backup file
- At first, you must navigate to the File menu.
- From there, you have to choose the option ‘Open or Restore Company’.
- Once done, click on the ‘Restore a Backup File’ option and then click on Next.
- Now, you have to search for the QuickBooks backup file and the .qbb extension.
- Moving ahead, select the required company file and click on the Next tab for opening the backup file without any trouble.
Step 2: Open the QB Company File
- Firstly, click on the ‘Open or Restore Company’ option from the File menu.
- After that, click on the option ‘Open a Company File’ and then click on Next.
- Once done, you must search for the company file by adding the .qbw extension.
- Lastly, click on Open.
Step 3: Open an Accountants copy transfer file
- In the first place, navigate to the File menu.
- From there, select the option ‘Open or Restore a Company file‘.
- After that, select the option to ‘Convert an Accountant’s Copy Transfer File‘ and then click on Next.
- Further, you will come across the ‘What the Accountant’s copy Can and Can’t Do’ Window, and there you have to click on Next.
- Moving ahead, look for the file that has. qbx extension.
- Once you find it, click on Open.
- Once done, save the file on your computer by clicking on Save.
Condition 2: If in case, you are accessing the QuickBooks file that you have saved locally on the same system
Solution 1: Look for all company files
- Being a user, you must first go to the server system and then perform a wildcard search for all company files by typing one of the following as mentioned below into the search bar.
- You need to make sure that you include the Asterisk before the extension type to ensure the search works correctly. Below we have listed some of the file extensions:
- *.qbw (Working files)
- *.qbb (Back up files)
- *.qba (Accountants Copy Files)
- *.qbx (Accountant Transfer Files)
- *.qby (Accountant changes files)
- Once you found the file you were looking for, you must note the file’s location and move to the solution.
Solution 2: Opening the file in QuickBooks
Depending on the QuickBooks version that you are using, you need to open your company file.
Step 1: The user needs to open the company file (.qbw) or an accountant’s copy.
- Firstly, go to the File menu, and from there, select the ‘open or restore company‘ option.
- After that, select the option that says “open a company file” and then click on Next.
- Once done, go ahead and select the company file.
- Lastly, click on open.
Step 2: Restoring the backup of .qbb file extension
- In the first place, you have to select the option open or restore company from the file menu.
- Followed by that, choose the restore a backup file option.
- Once done, click on next.
- After that, you have to select a local backup.
- Moving ahead, select the company file, and then click on next.
- In the end, you have to choose the location where you want to save the restored files.
Step 3: Restoring an Accountant’s copy transfer file (.qbx)
- To begin, choose the open or restore a company option from the file menu.
- After that, click on the option convert and accountant’s copy transfer file.
- Further, click on next.
- If you come across the option “what the accountant’s copy can and can’t do the window,” then you have to click on next.
- Moving ahead, select the file that you transferred and open it.
- Lastly, to end the process, you must choose a location to save the Accountant’s copy file. Once decided, click on save.
If you have followed the above mentioned-steps as described, and your query related is to the QuickBooks Company file not found cannot open company file isn’t solved by now, it would help if you transfer QuickBooks to another computer. Once done, follow the above steps and open the desired file.
To conclude the troubleshooting method, one must follow the below-mentioned steps till the time “problems loading QuickBooks company file not found” is solved:
- If necessary, update QuickBooks.
- Now, run “Reboot.bat.”
- Then, you need to perform a clean installation of QuickBooks, i.e. start from scratch.
- From the QuickBooks installation window, choose the option “Repair”.
Note:- If you still face the issue, you can try updating your QuickBooks Company File to newer version. In some cases, Updating the Company file can resolve such issue. Follow our article on How to Update QuickBooks Company File.
When you have updated your company file, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Being a professional QB user, you must keep the data backup in a safe place so that you can go back to it whenever needed.
- If in case you have copied the data from a different computer for updating it.
You must consider these pointers while updating your company file so that you do not make any blunders and follow the whole process with 100% precision.
Need Professional Assistance
If you have followed the above method as described, you will be able to resolve the error “QuickBooks company file not found” without any hassle. Somehow, If you got stuck and aren’t able to proceed further, Or still you QuickBooks can’t find your company file. You must take the assistance of a QB expert. In case you need similar solutions for such technical snags, you must get in touch with an expert by dialling Asquare Cloud Hosting Helpline Number.
Related Search Terms
company file not found QuickBooks, where are my QuickBooks files stored, how to share QuickBooks company file, QuickBooks cannot find company file, QuickBooks data missing after update,