QuickBooks users can run payroll for their employees through the application itself, and it is advised to update it every time before releasing it. Sometimes QuickBooks payroll won’t update due to damaged company files or outdated applications. Users generally face errors belonging to the PSXXX series. The method for fixing it involves using application tools and reinstalling QBD.
Is your QuickBooks Desktop Payroll not working? Contact an expert at +1.855.738.0359, and they will guide you with the best ways to fix it.
Reasons for ‘QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Update not working’ Issue
The reason for the ‘QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Update not working’ issue involves problems with your application or damage to your data file. A poor internet connection can also lead to this error. The complete list of reasons for this error are:-
- The QuickBooks application is outdated.
- Your company file is compromised.
- A third party is interfering with QuickBooks processes.
- Your QuickBooks application is damaged.
- You have a poor internet connection.
Troubleshooting To Follow If QuickBooks Payroll Won’t Update
There are 4 different solutions that users can follow if QuickBooks payroll won’t update. It includes updating the QuickBooks application, using verify and rebuild utility, running QuickBooks Desktop in safe mode and using the clean install tool to reinstall QBD. Let’s look at these solutions in detail:-
Solution 1- Update QuickBooks
Update your QuickBooks application if you are using an outdated QuickBooks application. These are the steps you need to follow:-
- Close your company file and then your QBD application.
- Press the Windows Start button and search ‘QuickBooks Desktop’ in the search bar.
- Right-click on the QBD icon and select Run as Administrator.
- Now QuickBooks will open in the ‘No Company open’ window and tap on the Help tab.
- Choose Update QuickBooks Desktop and go to the Options tab.
- Tap on Mark All and then click on Save.
- Now go to the Update Now menu and tickmark Reset Update box.
- Then click on Get Updates and updates will start downloading.
- Now close the QBD application and then rerun it.
- Tap on Yes when the prompt to install it appears on the screen.
In case the issues still persist, you probably edit or delete the paychecks For complete instructions, read how to fix QuickBooks Error PS038.
Solution 2- Run Verify and Rebuild Tool
A compromised data file can be a reason for QuickBooks desktop payroll not updating the issue. QuickBooks have an inbuilt Verify and Rebuild utility that can help you fix it. These are the steps you need to follow:-
- Tap on the File tab and select Utilities.
- Then click on Verify Data and tap on OK to close all the running windows.
- Now again, go to the File menu and choose Utilities.
- Click on Rebuild Data.
- QBD will ask you to create a backup of your company file, tap on OK.
- Then tap on OK after the rebuild process is done.
- Now again, follow the first two steps to run & verify the utility and check if the file is fixed or not.
Also Read: 4 Top Solutions To Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error PS058.
Solution 3- Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop in Safe Mode
Interference by a third-party application can be one reason why payroll updates in QuickBooks won’t update. Running QuickBooks in selective startup mode ensures that no other application interferes with the update process. These are the steps you need to follow:-
- Create a backup of your company file.
- Download and installer file of your version of the QuickBooks application.
- Note down your QBD product and license information.
- Press Windows+R, and the Run window will open up.
- Type in MSConfig and press OK.
- Now go to the General tab and choose Selective Startup and Load System Services.
- No go to the Services menu and select Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Tap on Disable all.
- Untick Hide all Microsoft services boxes and ensure that the Windows Installer box is already tick-marked from the list of services.
- Then click on OK and tap on Restart on the system configuration window.
- Uninstall Quickbooks, then use the clean install tool for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go and install the QuickBooks application through the installer file you downloaded.
- Now press Windows+R and the Run command window will open up.
- Type in MSConfig and click on OK.
- Go to the General tab and choose Normal startup and click on OK.
- Tap on Restart in the System Configuration window.
You may also check other Payroll Issues:
QuickBooks Payroll Error PS060
Payroll error ps036 in QuickBooks
QuickBooks Error PS033
So now we hope you know what should be done when QuickBooks payroll won’t update. Updating QuickBooks and using utilities are the solutions that can be acted upon through the application. While installing QuickBooks in selective startup mode requires external steps. If you still have doubts left or are stuck at any step, reach out to an expert at +1.855.738.0359, and they can fix it for you.